You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting tool not working when layer added

I've now come across this twice. After adding an adjustment layer the Inpainting tool ceases to function. I've tried closing and opening the file, rasterising it (as suggested in another thread). I also can't get the Merge function to work - finally had to use the Flatten option. Loving the programme - only had it since  Friday. It's transforming my working life. Still so much to learn though. Lots of great tutorials, though the Black and White area is a bit sparse.

• Staff

Hi Anairb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the pixel layer selected in the Layers Studio and not the adjustment layer, otherwise the Inpainting Brush Tool will not work. You only have to rasterize the layer if you are working with an Image layer type - look at the label in all caps right above the layer's name in the Layers Studio - if it says Pixel then there's no need to Rasterize it.

The Merge function need at least two layers to be used:
- the first option Merge Down (menu More (the three dots on the top of the interface) ▸ Merge ▸ Merge Down) will merge the selected layer with the layer immediately below it in the Layers Studio, so you only need to have one layer selected:
- the second option Merge Selected need at least two layers selected in the Layers Studio. To select multiple (independent) layers swipe through them to highlight them then go to menu More (the three dots on the top of the interface) and select Merge ▸ Merge Selected;
- the third option Merge Visible will merge all visible layer in the Layers Studio, that is, those that have the checkbox ticked in the Layers Studio.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• Staff
2 hours ago, BeverlyE said:

I've found that the inpainting only works for me on a merged layer or the original photo. I can't get the "current layer and below" to work.

The Inpainting Brush Tool only works with Pixel layer types. Check the small letter in all caps above the layer's name in the Layers Studio. If they are labelled as Image layer(s) you have to rasterize them before using the Inpainting Brush Tool. To do this select the Image layer in the Layers Studio, tap the More button (the three dots on the top of the interface) and selected Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. You can then work with the Inpainting Brush Tool on these layers as usual.

The Current Layer & Below option is usually used when you want to perform a non-destructive inpainting operation on a layer, that is, place the "inpainted data" in a new layer rather than overwriting the original layer you are painting in. To perform a non-destructive inpainting operation create a new pixel layer above the layer you want to inpaint, keep that layer selected in the Layers Studio, change to the Inpainting Brush Tool, set the Source to Current Layer & Below then start paintting over the area/object you want to inpaint/rebuild. You will see that the inpainting data is being placed in the new pixel layer you just created keeping the original layer intact.