You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working on RAW files with IPad 10.5

Here is how I am doing my workflow on my IPad Pro 10.5.  Please let me know if anyone knows of a better/easier way to get my files from A to B.  All my RAW  CR2 files are on my computer.  To transfer them to my IPad, I put them on an SD card.  I then throw the SD card into my Apple SD card reader and plug it into the IPad.  The photos are downloaded to the Apple photo app.  I open them in affinity and enhance them.  It seems like after that, the easiest way to get them back to PC is to save the modified version to Google drive and then open it up on my computer.  I tried to import them just using the Photo app to the IPad, but it seems like when they were transfered from PC to IPad via ITunes, they were automatically changed to Jpeg.  Anybody have a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Yandawg

I just found out last night that I can connect iPad Pro to my pc's in my home LAN, using Readdle or FileExplorer (both app are free from App Store).  I can download the photos to iPad Pro and the transfer is quite fast. Click nearby and choose which pc.   Once they are in the download documents of Readdle or FE, just open the raw photo and hit share to AP and edit away as usual.  Unfortunately, getting the edited file back to pc is still the same export and save routine.  This way, you do not have to copy to sd card.

• Staff

Hi toxotis70,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, Affinity Photo doesn't support RAW + XMP sidecar files (nor DNG's with XMP data). You can only keep the edits adjustments/edits done in Photo Persona saving the file in our native file format (changes made in Develop Persona are baked up to the image when switched to Photo Persona). To save the file in our native file format tap the document icon on the top of the iPad interface and select Save a Copy. Note that Affinity is not a DAM software like Lightroom, Aperture and similar - it doesn't use sidecar files nor databases to keep the RAW's adjustments or apply adjustments to multiple images from the same set. It doesn't manage libraries on any kind. It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing app similar to Adobe Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW. We do have plans to develop a DAM software later.

Hello,

alternatively to the SD card (which I am also using when traveling) you can use "FileBrowser for Business" application  in your local network. It is displayed  by Affinity in the "Import from cloud". It allows me to download  raw files from my NAS into Affinity for iPad. Identical setup can be done to download files stored on a mac.

Upload of the processed photos to the mac/NAS can be done identically  with  Export functionality.

cheers

Michel

You can check this thread out too:

I also use FileExplorer, found it worth it to upgrade as we can then link Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive too and also edit files on any desktop linked share folders.