• Announcements

• Patrick Connor

Forum Upgrade   07/12/2017

Welcome to the upgraded Affinity Forums. This change will allow us to add more features and block spam better. If you have any problems using these forums as a result of the upgrade, please post in the the similarly named News forum thread.
bibbis

Can't draw because of initial lag/delay.

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm using Photo version 1.5.2.69 on Windows 10.

I can't draw in it because there is around half a second lag from the moment the tip touches the surface until the line starts drawing.

I found this thread from 2.5 years ago where the issue was reported in the Mac beta and was going to be looked into:

Was the problem found and fixed on Mac?

I can draw just fine with any other software I've tried like Photoshop, Animate, Flash, MS PAINT(!), Substance Painter, etc.etc... Everything works just fine and I can use the tablet as a mouse with good precision.

The ONLY thing that is giving me this lag issue is Affinity Photo.

Hey bibbis,

It definitely used to be an issue but I haven't seen this for a while. There has been a lot of work put into Wacom performance. There might be a short delay when you first attempt to draw on a new document (as the app creates a new Pixel layer) however this can be pre-empted by adding a Pixel layer manually before you paint.

What hardware are you using and what are your system specs? What if you go to Edit > Preferences > Performance > Renderer > WARP?

Hi,

The problem stays regardless of how long I have the document open.

I have a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch.

CPU i7-6700k

GPU GTX 970 SLI

RAM 32 GB

Tried changing to WARP but it makes no difference.

Okay the beta is different.

In the standard version, the lag causes whatever I draw within that first short time to become a completely straight line.

So if I draw tiny curves, the first part that I draw will become straight and then it starts to become circular after the line has "caught up" to the cursor.

In the new beta, the behavior is VISUALLY the same, but it still registers the entire motion.

So my tiny curves take around half a second before they start showing up, but the whole curve is... curvy.

Look how straight the tops are in the first pictures compared to the second.

27d6a9579b0c5a52ffdbaa1bcfabc1ed.png5570e9e1069a7c959de2bf662ed2d9dd.png

Hey bibbis,

The straight line at the start happened as for the first 250 ms after a mouse-down event, we're waiting to see whether it's a click or a drag. That's why we don't draw anything. 
The bug fix was to store up the mouse points during this time and apply them once we know it's a drag. 

Okay I see!

I'm glad this version works for me. I've been looking forward to do some proper drawing in AF. Up until now I have only used it for more basic tasks.

Thanks!