abarkalo

Displacement maps not working properly for me

I have tried several times but I am not able to get in Affinity Photo the high quality of displacement maps that I do in Photoshop.  In either program I select the color channel for with the best depth information and save the single channel as a new pixel layer.  In Photoshop I save the channel as PSD, in Affinity in PNG of course.  When I work with the same images then in Photoshop and displace the result is usually very good.  In Affinity sorry to say I get a mess.   I watched the videos on your site several times, and you show type over a rocky surface.  I've been trying to work on a logo over a fabric with wrinkles and folds and the logo disintegrates, whereas it folds nicely in Photoshop.   I have tried reloading other color channels (from saved PNGs) as well as selecting from the layer underneath.

This is a very essential feature for me and I really would like to see what I am doing wrong or if there this is going to be improved later on please let me know.  

Hi abarkalo,

Are you able to show results from both Photoshop and Affinity please? Without even seeing your results I can't provide much help or assistance.

Also if you could include both your displacement maps (both PNGs and PSDs) along with the texture you are trying to apply them to. Lastly are you able to give a step by step description of how you are exporting your chosen map out of Affinity please?

HI Sean, 

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you.  I tried this again in Beta 4 Affinity Photo and with the same result - I really can't get displacement to work there.

In Photo and in Photoshop I save the channel with the most depth info - typically the red channel. I do a Gaussian blue of 1 pixel and  I create spare channels and in Photoshop I save to a PSD file and in Photo to a PNG file as it says to do (and also there is an option to load layers underneath - which I also tried).  

Please see the results in both Photoshop and Photo.  See the names of the files to see the result.  Also I rasterized fonts in Photo and created a smart object in Photoshop.  Please lmk what I'm doing wrong.  I can't get this effect to work and this is a much needed technique for me.

Alex

displace_jacket.psd

JACKET PNG.png

jL2aKyj.jpg

PHOTOSHOP 1.png

PHOTOSHOP 2.png

POST DISPLACEMENT AFFINITY 2.png

POST-DISPLACEMENT AFFINITY.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 11.44.59 PM.png

Hi abarkalo,

Thank you very much for the files! Unfortunately this is the same issue that MBd has linked too. I've bumped the issue with development and linked them to this post.

Thanks for taking the time out to let us know.

I'am really confused about this. I still can't get a 'real' looking  displacement effect like in Photoshop. (seen below in this video)

It can't be that now over two years this bug isn't fixed!

I, too, am desperate for Affinity Photo to produce the excellent displacements maps Photoshop produced. The results are horrible. The Photoshop tutorial video submitted by hilavoku is a classic! Please…fix this feature in Photo!