You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Integration with iCloud

Hi hope everyone is ok. I'm loving affinity on iPad. Can we work on a better integration with iCloud. I don't understand if its me or what. I used Pixelmator on my iPad since now that Affinity is finally available for iPad. So on PixelMator a file saved on the cloud i have to option to open in the app without importing. This is a really time saving feature because you are not keeping saving version inside the app. Could it be possible to add the same on affinity? At the moment you can just import every single time.

M

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey marcoborghesi,

I can't really say for sure if we will change the current process. There does seem to be a lot of users suggesting improvements to help their workflow. This post might be more suited in the Feature Requests section so I'll move it over. Thanks! 

I think this for sure needs to be addressed.

One of the big values of the Cloud is to have 1 version of a file. It is why in my organization we use google docs. You do not have to worry what is the latest version, or opening a version that has a newer copy somewhere else and inadvertently losing changes one made previously. 

Right now as it is with Photo, I am going to have a Mac copy, and Cloud copy and an iPad copy and likely end up with multiple copies in multiple locations and it is going to be the bad old days of having to do lots of manual housekeeping to keep things organized. Seems like a nightmare to me. 

Well on iCloud works to but need to be integrated within the app. On Pixelmator it works pretty well. So if from the iCloud drive app you selec a native Pixelmator file and you tap share icon it doesn't ask you import but to open the file. When you doing that you file will be open in the app. You do all your changes and when you are done you just save. In case of Pixelmator you going back to the images tab. You will notice won't be save in the app but save on the same iCloud location. You double check and open again with the same process and you get your layered file etc with your last change and so on.

it works properly but it needs just to be update. Having pro style app is important but also the integration is important as now you can start to do more in deep work.

hope you will consider the option to open a file from iCloud instead of keep import.

m

I would second this request. I'd like Affinity Photo on both iPad and Mac to have the option to store the .afphoto files in iCloud Drive by default.

I'm experimenting with an iPad-based workflow. I import images into the iPad when I'm out and about, and then edit them in Affinity Photo. It would be great if I could switch to the Mac when I get home and open the images from there. If the images are stored in iCloud Drive then this should be fairly straightforward. That's how Pixelmator works, so it would be good to see Affinity Photo working in the same way.

+ 1 for this feature request.

It would be perfect to have .afphoto file in iCloud synced to be workable either on iPad and on Mac.

And just curious (and confused): where do you put your original RAW file ? Non in iCloud ? In iCloud you save only the .afphoto file ?

But .afphoto file has the whole pic in it not only the adjustment done to original file ??

With my experimental workflow, the RAW file is imported into the Apple Photos app so is synchronised with iCloud and available via the photos app. From there, I can then import the RAW file into Affinity Photo on the iPad to work on it. (In fact, I've been experimenting with importing into Lightroom Mobile first, then exporting a TIFF to Affinity so that I can dodge and burn).

I don't think there is a way to import directly from the SD card directly into Affinity Photo - I think you have to go through the intermediate step using Apple Photos.

My actual experimental workflow work in this way. Bear in mind I'm trying to live with just my new IPAs 12.9 2nd gen. Also having a Fujifilm 1 X-Pro this 2017 I'm trying to shoot just in jpg and enjoy the film simulation but this is another story.

So. I'm importing in apple photos my shoots and I evaluate which one keep and which ones needs to go. Then I'm working on them (just small adjustments and watermark)n affinity. Then I save a final photo in apple photo. When I'm done I move the orinals to iCloud with the app. Documents5. I'm looking forward to see the new File app with iOS 11 hoping you can move multiple photos in iCloud. After that once a month I backup them on my external drive through a Kensington wi-fi external accessories that allow through the USB to connect the HD and backup them. My look into my perfect workflow is still on work. Hopefully with the new ios11 we will have more options for this purpose.

M

• 4 months later...

I too would love to see native iCloud file storage support.

I’m so far loving Affinity Photo but it’s the only app I use where its files aren’t stored in the iOS 11 Files app or iCloud in some other way — Crazy! If my iPad was lost or broke tomorrow, I’d lose no documents, yet I’d lose all my Affinity files.

Hopefully you’ll consider this. Thanks!