jasonmrenfro

software licencing

11 posts in this topic

i mainly use my desktop pc downstairs but if i need to work in bed i use my macbook air. i want to purchase the full version but do i need to purchase both versions even though its only being used by one person (me)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, jasonmrenfro. :)

You need a separate licence for each platform (Mac, Windows, iPad) so if your desktop PC is a Mac then you only need to purchase one licence to cover both machines but if it's a Windows PC you would need two licences. The Mac version is only sold through the Mac App Store and the Windows version is only sold through Serif's own Affinity Store.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.1.93, beta 1.6.3.99) • Affinity Photo (1.6.1.93, beta 1.6.3.99) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.74 RC1 iOS 11.2.5 (iPad Air 2)

2 hours ago, jasonmrenfro said:

can i install it onto my windows laptop also using the same product key?

The Mac versions do not use licensing keys (they use Apple ID's) so no, as Alfred says if you want to install the app on both Windows & Macs, you need to buy two versions, one from the Serif store for Windows & one from the Mac App Store for Macs.

Affinity Photo 1.6.6; Affinity Designer 1.6.0; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

I refuse to use App Store can I get Direct from you (need Mac and Windoze)?

21 minutes ago, coullone said:

I refuse to use App Store can I get Direct from you (need Mac and Windoze)?

As Alfred said, The Mac version is sold only through the Mac App Store.

Also, using the Mac App Store is the only way to get Mac OS upgrades, so unless you want to be stuck forever on whatever Mac OS version you have now, (which eventually will become a very bad idea for security reasons) you will need to use it at some point, even if not for buying Affinity or other apps sold only through the store.

Alfred likes this

Affinity Photo 1.6.6; Affinity Designer 1.6.0; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

6 hours ago, jasonmrenfro said:

can i install it onto my windows laptop also using the same product key?

Your licence covers all Windows machines that you own or control, so you can install the software on all such machines (desktop or laptop) using the same product key. If anyone else in your household wants to use the product for commercial purposes, they would have to buy their own licence.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.1.93, beta 1.6.3.99) • Affinity Photo (1.6.1.93, beta 1.6.3.99) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.74 RC1 iOS 11.2.5 (iPad Air 2)

Hey!

Let me join this topic instead of creating new one because I just want to be 100% sure. ;)
Lets say I'm the only user and I own one computer (Windows) - most simple scenario. And I'm buying Affinity Photo straight from your website (Polish price is 239PLN). As I understand (after what I've found in regulations) I can use Affinity Photo for commercial purposes, I can create images / logos, retouche photos etc using your software and sell it (what I created, not your software :D ) without paying anything extra (like some additional licences or something), right?

Hi Markov,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, that's correct. The value you pay for the license is to grant you the right to use the program.  What you do with it is your work no matter if it is for commercial purposes or not. You don't have to pay anything else.

You can install the program in more than one machine if you want (for example your desktop computer and a laptop) as long as you are the only one using the software for commercial purposes.