You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flipping layers

When doing Keystone adjustmenst on one of my photos (in CaptureOne) I found that the result was a great deal of missing information on the bottom left of the photo. Since the photo forefront was largely symmetric it seemed reasonable to assume I could load the photo into AP, duplicate the layer, flip the duplicate layer horizontally and just cut out the missing information on the original layer allowing the flipped underlying layer to supply the missing information. Unfortunately you can not do that in AP because (I assume) the layers are linked, so flipping the duplicate also flips the original.

Is there a way to duplicate a layer and flip only the duplicate? This is functionality I have occasionally found to be very helpful. You can not load a second copy of the file because AP will not allow the same file to be loaded twice. Of course I can copy the original, rename it, save it back to the original folder and then load it (which, in fact, is what I ended up doing), or create a new document and copy the original to it, but perhaps there is a way to do what I want without all of the foot shuffling.

8 hours ago, MikeFromMesa said:

flipping the duplicate also flips the original

No such problem here, Mike. Apologies if I'm asking the obvious, but did you make sure that the original layer was not selected in the Layers panel?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Apologies to Alfred, but choosing "Flip Horizontal" from the Document layer flips the entire document, not just the layer.

The answer is to use the Equations filter. In the appropriate field, enter the phrase w-x. This will flip the layer chosen, but leave the other layers alone. See below:

596b586a0c4f3_FlipaLayer.thumb.jpg.80b217edb2b8ab1b02d6f9ec17e3ca9a.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Document > Flip Horizontal

Will flip all layers even if just one is selected

Arrange > Flip Horizontal

Will just flip the selected layer(s)

Works as expected for me (on Windows AP)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Alfred:

No such problem here, Mike. Apologies if I'm asking the obvious, but did you make sure that the original layer was not selected in the Layers panel?

Yes. I made sure only one layer was selected. Flipping the selected layer also flips the unselected layer as the entire Document is flipped.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Document > Flip Horizontal

Will flip all layers even if just one is selected

Arrange > Flip Horizontal

Will just flip the selected layer(s)

This is very puzzling to me. I have been using AP/APB since the first Beta was released and I never noticed an Arrange command before. I suppose that I have been using it for so long that I only saw what I knew was there and not what was added later, but it is hard for me to understand how an entire command/pulldown went unnoticed. I wonder when it was added ...

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

on Windows, with the Move Tool selected, you can also right click on the layer (in the workspace not the Layers panel) and select...

Transform > Flip Horizontal

to just flip the layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

40 minutes ago, carl123 said:

on Windows, with the Move Tool selected, you can also right click on the layer (in the workspace not the Layers panel) and select...

Transform > Flip Horizontal

to just flip the layer

I do not see a workspace panel on the Mac version.

3 minutes ago, MikeFromMesa said:

I do not see a workspace panel on the Mac version.

There isn't a Workspace panel. Carl is referring to right-clicking the layer/object on the canvas/workspace.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.