You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you group layers in Affinity Designer?

I select multiple layers to group. I expect to see some sort of option I can simply click to group, but I can't see anything.
I'm using the Work Book, and a 'group' option is supposed to come up on the Contextual Toolbar, but there is no option to group.

Am I missing something?

Untitled.png

Edit: right click, and I see the option CTRL G for group. Going by the Work Book, should this option be showing up on the Contextual Toolbar?!? Just curious.

Edited by Kiarian
right click shows CTRL G (to group)

In the screen shot, it shows you are using node tool. Ermm, that doesn't work on layers. Switch to the select tool at the top of the tools icon column, key "v". Then command "a" all. Then, command "g" group. Done.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

31 minutes ago, Hokusai said:

Kiarian,

Hello, you can't group objects using the Node tool (the white tool). If you switch to the move tool you will see the "Group" option show up on the Contextual Toolbar. 

Hokusai

31 minutes ago, gdenby said:

In the screen shot, it shows you are using node tool. Ermm, that doesn't work on layers. Switch to the select tool at the top of the tools icon column, key "v". Then command "a" all. Then, command "g" group. Done.

Many thanks. Problem solved. Ahh, so the contextual toolbar is obviously changing depending on which tool I am using. Got it.

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, Armegalo said:

The big question though is why there is not a "Group" button on the layers tab, as there is in Photo

Designer has two types of Group layers, sort of. It’s a vector drawing program and layer control is more sophisticated.

A standard group, and a ‘Container’ layer which is a sort of ‘super group’. That’s what you get if you click on the Add Layer button on the bottom of the Layers panel.

Because Designer has a lot more control over groups and layers, I guess they didn’t want to confuse things and fill the panel up. The Edit All Layers button is related to layer/group control.

Anyway, it’s easy enough to press control + G, right click on a layer and choose ‘group’ or use the menu Layer > Group.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.