tom.s

Affinity Photo very slow

On 28/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, taerigi said:

So, I did few tests with my laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4210U, 1.70 - 2.70 GHz

Your cpu is almost identical to his, just 4th gen, his is 5th (but your peak speed in the integrated is a bit higher, but that's only on paper, theoretical). In theory tho, there are always many improvements between generations, that average users wont notice, but others do: cache, bus speed, etc. In any case, that'd favor his system... Tho sometimes intel releases a model with less capabilities than its predecessor, to market it to other segment, or as believes it can cut costs in some feature, for the targeted user base...

You seem to have turbo activated, he seems he doesn't as per the system's info.... but your peak speed is only 300hz more than his base speed (still, I'd definitely try, but would monitorize the temps at least at first times, with different types of heavy loads, just in case)... And the other thing is that your GPU is dedicated, and, as I believe was mentioned already, an integrated uses system memory, NOT a dedicated card memory, obviously (there are a TON other differences between most dedicated and integrated, being the latter mostly a way to make a system really slow, even for basic operations). If the raw file is already taxing a lot the system memory (and in general, in resources), and needs quite some mem for the big brush to paint over that big file, both are drinking from same source. Might be punishing the 8gb too much, I dunno.

I'd certainly tho would consider -for anyone- to use sth more powerful for heavy file editing...you make this way your life so much easier. I'm with this dinosaur now, but I know a lot of tricks in my work to make it work. Yet tho, at companies have worked with  much better, modern machines, and for graphics editing, it's worths it like heck... Today, sth like an i7 7700k, 8700k (signficantly faster than 7700k...among other advantages!!), or an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 or 1800x with 16gb (or more) ddr4 RAM, 2400mhz (at least), an average but modern video card,  is what I personally would recommend as the thing to have for working comfortably. It's my 2c.... in my opinion, if is not with raw files, it'd be with large multi layers files for projects at print resolution, or when you are trying to handle very heavy 3D scenes, or... many things, that will make the machine work against you and make you loose tons of time... If I weren't to pay such a lot of bills this year, I'd be already with one of those... Yet so, is also as I can manage the thing with crazy weird tricks. It'd be a total nightmare if not with a 2009 machine.

Edit: (and yeah, all improve to the brush system has my vote :D )

On 28/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, adamchmiel said:

Of course the editing was smooth with the desktop... So I'm not going any further with that. :7_sweat_smile:

As it could have any.... that machine is a total BEAST.  :D:D:D

" and with desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K, 4.20 - 4.50 GHz
GPU: 11 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 16,0 GB Dual-Channel DDR4
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270H GAMING

SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 1 TB  "

11gb GTX 1080 ti....is there ANYTHING that card can't do ?  :o

The only thing there I have identical is the HD, exactly the same....

23 hours ago, taerigi said:

Yes, this is true. Most important things are good CPU and enough RAM. My thoughts were in the rendering part: everything you see on the screen comes through the GPU. So, if Affinity Photo needs the CPU to do the editing, it takes a bit performance from the integrated GPU, and that would cause lag you see while brushing.

But. I was wrong. I did the testing with this lower end laptop (Intel Core i5-4300U 1.90 - 2.90 GHz, Intel® HD Graphics 4400, 8 GB RAM). The brush strokes were still smooth enough and quite real-time. My zoom level was 19 % and yours in the video is 16 %, so it can't be that either.

The main difference in the performance settings is that I have "Use precise clipping" checked and you don't. I don't think this makes much difference.

All in all, your hardware should be capable to run AP smoothly. I think the problem might be somewhere around power saving settings or over heating prevention. All performance and power settings should be set to "best performance" so Windows wouldn't block the performance. My next step could be cleaning the fans from dust, and re-installing a clean Windows.

SO: good news and hope for other users with similar machine and problem: AP works after Windows 10 reinstal to factory setting.

Thank you all for contributions - super useful and helped in the end understand and solve the issue.

I just hope that it will stay this way :) I will check changes in layer painting every time I will install new program to my laptop to find out if there is any program collision.

5 hours ago, adamchmiel said:

SO: good news and hope for other users with similar machine and problem: AP works after Windows 10 reinstal to factory setting.

Hey, this is awesome!! Nice to hear it helped!

13 hours ago, SrPx said:

As it could have any.... that machine is a total BEAST.  :D:D:D

11gb GTX 1080 ti....is there ANYTHING that card can't do ?  :o

Haha I know. :D:D I'm privileged to be able to use that kind of machine since it's my fiancé's gaming pc. :221_see_no_evil: He just upgraded from his previous setup from 2011, though the GPU was upgraded somewhere in 2015.

A bit off topic, but in the long run, a laptop without dedicated GPU is going to be a dead end. Integrated GPU can handle most stuff for the first year or so, but usually it is going to be good for nothing if you want to do anything else than surf the net or watch netflix... Just a little heads up, if someone is going to buy laptop to use with AP. ;) Or be sure to buy laptop with at least 8 GB memory, if it has only integrated GPU. My laptop at work (i5-4300U/HD Graphics 4400/8 GB) runs AP smooth enough, but there I only use it to do some very basic stuff like cropping, and adding some arrows or circles to screenshots. (Gotta love Affinity's EULA, it allows you to install purchased software on all your own devices with the same licence)

I'm glad it was just some software conflict. :)  2 cores, if anything was tsr, working in the background (some very weird trojans (or just adware) do that to crazy extents, and sometimes, just honest apps and libraries...a too intrusive antivirus or third party firewall, who knows.), is enough to kill the entire performance...

Yep, integrated graphics in the main board are fine for what they are designed for.... Typically expected usage is PCs or laptops that are thought for light office work, some browsing, email, twitter , facebook, checking low res family photos...As a communication device with some office capabilities. (a heavy data base file can kill their performance, too). And it's very good that they keep being produced and sold. Besides some specific usages (some apps requiring two cards for some operation (ie,some cintiq alternatives, some special graphic applications, etc), not needing both to be dedicated, sometimes OSes installation can benefit from this, too, etc (in the Jurassic times, I remember a Linux distro that wouldn't be able to "see" my dedicated (only once I'd run startx) but yep the integrated)) the thing is they're aimed also for business, they require very low cost per seat, no overheat and no noise (no dedicated fans), also help a lot not to increase the laptop's heat, obviously, where you can't setup any really advanced cooling (at a decent price).  And there's a third case (so it's basic home users, business light office users (a LOT of them), and this third one ) , the people with no large pockets, that prefer to buy little by little to build the right perfect PC rig. For these,  some prefer to get the best platform, and kind of prefer to invest more in a good moboard, and mostly the best CPU (later on the best possible card). So , being fine for most of the serious uses to stay a month or more with an integrated. AMD for now forces you to purchase whatever the card, good or crappy. With intel you can just live with their latest integrated (way way better than 5th and 4th gen, btw. Can even playback 4k) and when you see "justifiable" (ie: priorities allow ;) ) to spend in the right card (1060, 1070...) then you do it.  So, I believe integrated shouldn't disappear... and probably wont. If anything, AMD has announced is going to release chips with integrated cards, too. Which is great news specially for their own business success. For companies, the low price, less issues, less heat and noise of an integrated, is a real gift. I think indeed is one of the very few errors AMD has made in their past successful launch-wave (intel has made more, IMO) : Not including integrated graphics not even as an option in some cpu.  For anyone else, from game graphic artists, graphic designers, illustrators, let alone video editors, 3D modelers (these two, I know by experience, benefit tons from a good GPU with 6 gb of  memory. I'd do WONDERS with your fiance's 11MB (ultra powerful chip, besides the crazy amount of ddr5 ram) card, in my Blender Cycles renderer, hehe )... we all need a dedicated card, and better if a good one. And also, regular applications use more and more the card to 2D accelerate, among other things, so, logcally, machines with just the integrated tend to have a less smooth performance, I agree.

What I mean is... they're have their uses... but yep, for graphics work, I neither would recommend them, specially in the times to come (imo, 2D and 3D apps making heavy use of the card, and more cores...but I might be wrong.).

I too could use some help solving slow issues. I'm editing photos in the Photo Persona any adjustment with any tool  but mostly the magic wand or section brush and inpainting brush it slows down immensely.

We've recently built my pc with AMD RYZEN7 1700(8 cores 16 threads 3GHz), 16 gigs DDR5 Ram, and a GTX 1050 GPU. I have set the ram usage to the max settings, and changed my rendering to WARP instead of the GPU. I have also tried setting the process affinity to run on specific threads but it resets it self. I also don't like the idea of renting a prgm but if I cant get this to work I will have no choice but to go back to Photoshop. This was supposed to be a good alternative but when it takes hrs to edit one photo that would of took minutes in Photoshop then I will have no choice

3 hours ago, ybrown said:

I too could use some help solving slow issues. I'm editing photos in the Photo Persona any adjustment with any tool  but mostly the magic wand or section brush and inpainting brush it slows down immensely.

We've recently built my pc with AMD RYZEN7 1700(8 cores 16 threads 3GHz), 16 gigs DDR5 Ram, and a GTX 1050 GPU. I have set the ram usage to the max settings, and changed my rendering to WARP instead of the GPU. I have also tried setting the process affinity to run on specific threads but it resets it self. I also don't like the idea of renting a prgm but if I cant get this to work I will have no choice but to go back to Photoshop. This was supposed to be a good alternative but when it takes hrs to edit one photo that would of took minutes in Photoshop then I will have no choice

Hi ybrown, 

I am not a IT geet but I assume that on specs you wrote shall AP fly with no problem. I am receiving a reasonably fluent work on much slower machine (i7 - 2,4Gh, 8GB RAM, integrated GPU 5500U) Since I have been into this issue as well I have few ideas to try:

• check all drivers if they are updated
  • check and think about all programs which might be blocking your comp performance - watchout, I haven't seen them in overview  but there were some. you might think also about some power saving utilities you might have...
  • if non above helps i suggest to reset windows to factory settings - this helped me.

good luck

Before bouncing back, Consider that PS CC latest (IMO, CS6 is quite different in that) is more resources demanding, not less, indeed. PS CC latest is a joy and a wonder (MUCH better than CS 6 (while being this one valid for any pro activity of any level) in all what it can do, but if your machine is having issues with just A.Photo, I'd prepare mentally myself to same scenario in the other one. IMO, there's some other issue, and would be much, much cheaper to just hunt down the issue in the hardware or the OS, before deciding.

You should not need to fiddle with affinity (I don't mean Affinity ;) ) or cpu priority with that great machine.... Sth else is going on (and I don't  mean in AP).

Anyway, related to AP, what's the size of the graphic file in pixels dimensions ? Is it a raw file ? What size in pixels are you choosing for the brush ?

I've always got all stuff under control in my OS and machine, and know the processes of my system (and so, the alien ones), etc. But have seen some machines that with Windows, and specially after some software installations, get unstable if no one is kind of controlling that with a very sharp look. The above recommendations from this other forum member are very useful. Also, seems not doing a clean install, but an install of Win 10 over Win7 has caused other users some probs of big magnitude.

I've heard Ryzen 7 mother board drivers are a bit of a hit and miss scenario in some cases (I was hoping that very recent Ryzen machines purchased had the ideal perfected drivers for mother board and bios, tho). In both ways: sometimes because not fiddling with it gives you subpar performance -specially related to using all the ram speed well- , sometimes indeed due to having touched the settings in a way where the machine has issues and instability later. I'd be VERY interested in you getting this to work, not only as we all like to be a helping hand, but also, as is a machine that is in my own radar (to purchase), due to its spectacular performance with Blender 3D, specially the Cycles renderer (and expected good results in video rendering perfomance). 

9 hours ago, ybrown said:

Update: with talk of things running in the background or blocking, Don't know how this would matter but i shut off my antivirus (Avira) and it Some how made it run a bit smoother 

pixel dimensions are 3072x4608 jpeg and brush sizes is 350px or less

thank you for trying to help me figure this out and your suggestions 

Avira is a nice antivirus, but when updating, it can really make all look sluggish... Still, it usually takes a moment, and once you close it's updating window, and disable temporarily, the performance should be fine, still, a bit too little to be just that.

2 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Avira is a nice antivirus, but when updating, it can really make all look sluggish... Still, it usually takes a moment, and once you close it's updating window, and disable temporarily, the performance should be fine, still, a bit too little to be just that.

That is what I was thinking too. It is nice now that it is working a bit better, but that seems to be a little too insignificant to be the root cause of our issues. We have been trying to get this to work right for 2 weeks now. I will be looking into updating drivers for my mobo tomorrow and hopefully that will help

4 hours ago, ybrown said:

That is what I was thinking too. It is nice now that it is working a bit better, but that seems to be a little too insignificant to be the root cause of our issues. We have been trying to get this to work right for 2 weeks now. I will be looking into updating drivers for my mobo tomorrow and hopefully that will help

How about Windows 10 latest big update?  I don't remember the exact version but my laptop got a bit weird in December, after some bigger Windows update. Weird like "changing the login screen background image at every startup" weird.  I didn't wait for other symptoms to rise (since I'm too geek to tolerate weird sht from my computer...), so I too reset Windows 10 to factory state just now. The weird stuff did not affect to AP, but you never know about Win10... It does what it wants.

1 hour ago, taerigi said:

How about Windows 10 latest big update?  I don't remember the exact version but my laptop got a bit weird in December, after some bigger Windows update. Weird like "changing the login screen background image at every startup" weird.  I didn't wait for other symptoms to rise (since I'm too geek to tolerate weird sht from my computer...), so I too reset Windows 10 to factory state just now. The weird stuff did not affect to AP, but you never know about Win10... It does what it wants.spot

Just to let you know that the feature in W10 that you found weird is something that Microsoft calls Spotlight images and can be implemented in the Display Settings.  They are a series of exceptional quality and some remarkable images meant for your enjoyment just during the sign in process. They often don't work on many computers even when you want them. 

2 hours ago, Iam1of2 said:

Just to let you know that the feature in W10 that you found weird is something that Microsoft calls Spotlight images and can be implemented in the Display Settings.  They are a series of exceptional quality and some remarkable images meant for your enjoyment just during the sign in process. They often don't work on many computers even when you want them. 

Nope, wasn't that. I fiddled around those settings (and rebooting) for a good while, and the login screen background kept changing to one of Windows' images, though I had it set to show some another photo. Surprisingly it turned back to normal after resetting Windows.

I've been trying to figure this out for about a month and I Give up. Its Unfortunate that I've herd nothing form staff Members and due to the lack of solution and communication from Affinity themselves I've made the decision to go back to the trusting Adobe.

It's Upsetting because Affinity photo has Some great Features and is user friendly but sadly too many bugs.  For what you pay for is not worth the trouble dealing with the Bugs 

Adobe Photoshop is working FLAWLESSLY on my just about top the line computer.  I suggest to reconsider before hand that if don't have a Mac to Not go with windows Affinity Photo

1 hour ago, ybrown said:

I've been trying to figure this out for about a month and I Give up. Its Unfortunate that I've herd nothing form staff Members and due to the lack of solution and communication from Affinity themselves I've made the decision to go back to the trusting Adobe.

It's Upsetting because Affinity photo has Some great Features and is user friendly but sadly too many bugs.  For what you pay for is not worth the trouble dealing with the Bugs 

Adobe Photoshop is working FLAWLESSLY on my just about top the line computer.  I suggest to reconsider before hand that if don't have a Mac to Not go with windows Affinity Photo

You only started posting about your problems 5 days ago (on New Years Day, which our offices were closed). 

Is there any chance you could record a video so we can see what's happening? Your original report doesn't have much information to go on.

I'm editing photos in the Photo Persona any adjustment with any tool  but mostly the magic wand or section brush and inpainting brush it slows down immensely.

5 days ago hopping to get some help after weeks of figure out the issues on our own : running updates, tests and settings etc.

sadly i don't have a way to video capture my screen but here are some screen shots of what i mean 

Photos from 5 days ago

pic 1- is me trying to use the magic wand and i would 9/10 time get a Not responding white out screen 

pic 2 - using the inpainting tool again 9/10 times i would get this "loading" pop up that would last about a minute 

Nothing running in the background no other apps or programs opened and running 

And far worse if i had more than one photo opened at a time  

Affinity Photo 1_01_18 4_49_35 PM.png

Affinity Photo 1_01_18 4_50_53 PM.png

Could it be PS 2018 totally leaving your machine out of resources ? look at the ram used, for example (more than 3x times more than Photo, btw, but that's not the matter).... Have you tried it without loading PS at the same time ? it seems that version is quite resource hungry....Also depends on how much ram is installed (ie, if there's only 8 for all), but in general resources are more things, not just RAM...It could be as well some weird interaction between Photo and all those new 'lovely' extra processes that now come with the latest PS... (cep html engine, IPCBroker, etc, etc...some services...)

Indeed, to make a real isolated test, I'd be very sure to test Photo again not just not having PS loaded, but also killing all those processes before (some can stay resident after closing PS), to be sure is not some weird interaction. With a CS6, I wouldn't be suspecting, but in this case...Very specially if loading both applications at the same time (compatibility of all being run at same time, and resources hog).

sadly i don't have a way to video capture my screen 

No? :o

Some suggestions, all free :

https://obsproject.com

http://www.screentogif.com

http://camstudio.org

And the 3 are phenomenal....

Also, if like me, sometimes you do tutorials for people (even if just family, friends...), it's specially good one called Active Presenter, free edition exports video with a watermark, the commercial version is a bit expensive for the type of tool, tho, but I can see how would be a great deal for teachers or ppl doing tuts very often. Also very good performance in this very old 2009 machine in the screen recording thing.

https://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Could it be PS 2018 totally leaving your machine out of resources ? look at the ram used, for example (more than 3x times more than Photo, btw, but that's not the matter).... Have you tried it without loading PS at the same time ? it seems that version is quite resource hungry....Also depends on how much ram is installed (ie, if there's only 8 for all), but in general resources are more things, not just RAM...It could be as well some weird interaction between Photo and all those new 'lovely' extra processes that now come with the latest PS... (cep html engine, IPCBroker, etc, etc...some services...)

Indeed, to make a real isolated test, I'd be very sure to test Photo again not just not having PS loaded, but also killing all those processes before (some can stay resident after closing PS), to be sure is not some weird interaction. With a CS6, I wouldn't be suspecting, but in this case...Very specially if loading both applications at the same time (compatibility of all being run at same time, and resources hog).

we have run multiple isolated tests 

we've also ran last night a PC Game with multiple windows, apps and other programs running/opened to try to overstress the machine and the machine still ran Flawlessly. 

we've upped all settings to the highest running capacity and we still had Slow/laggy issues

I bought and downloaded PS this morning so the Task manager photos are from an hour ago not from 5 days ago 

17 hours ago, SrPx said:

Then it's some sort of specific software/driver conflict with APhoto.... I have a much under powered machine and have zero performance issues with Affinity ...

Agreed. I edit in AP 3-4 hours or more every day using a 5 year old Toshiba Laptop, 8gb ram, 1200mhz AMD CPU with builtin gpu and a Samsung SSD...

Creating some images of some layer complexity...

P