You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To illustrate a math article, my work flow in Illustrator is as follows:

1. I draw the illustration.

2. To copy a formula to the illustration, I open the pdf file of the article (created with LaTeX),  

select the formula, copy it, 

3. I open the illustration, paste the formula.

4. I group it, and move it.

How can I do this with Designer? All my attempts have failed.

Mike asked for a pdf, not an afdesign file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On a Mac here but I opened your new.pdf file in Apple's Preview app, selected your text example and copied it. Then I went to Designer and pasted. I was also able to Paste Without Format so that the text would change to what Font and Sizing that I chose beforehand.

Hey MikeW,

Don't know if you are directing that question to me or not. No, I don't have that Computer Modern font in gratzer's test.afdesign sample. What I was saying is that he should be able select the formula from that new.pdf and paste it into Designer pretty easily if on a Mac. My mentioning the Paste Without Format was just a hypothetical and an option to save some time in certain circumstances. For example if you had a PDF and there was some text that you wanted to copy and it was colored pink, using the Paste Without Format would remove that color when you went to paste it in Designer.

10 minutes ago, gratzer said:

I  opened new.pdf in Preview, copied the formula, opened test.eps in Designer, pasted the formula.

Awful. See attached.  testwith paste.afdesign

What specifically is awful about it? I don't have the CMB10 "Computer Modern" font installed on my Mac so I don't know what that font should look like but otherwise it seems perfectly acceptable.

By the way, If you don't want the text to appear as a frame text object, select the Art Text tool & click on the document somewhere before pasting. You will get an Art Text layer that you can move, resize, etc. with the Move tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, gratzer said:

Attached how it should look: test.pdf

It would really help if you would explain exactly what is wrong with the version pasted into Affinity Designer. The only thing I can see that is materially different is the two upper case "L" letters are not italicized, & that appears to be happening at the system clipboard level, not during pasting into the AD document.

Affinity Photo 

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The only thing I can see that is materially different is the two upper case "L" letters are not italicized, & that appears to be happening at the system clipboard level, not during pasting into the AD document.

I have two options for copying in my PDF viewer. The plain 'Copy' command results in pasted text which is not italicized; if I choose the 'Copy As Rich Text' command, the two instances of uppercase L are italicized when pasted, but so too are the curly brackets/braces.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I have two options for copying in my PDF viewer. The plain 'Copy' command results in pasted text which is not italicized; if I choose the 'Copy As Rich Text' command, the two instances of uppercase L are italicized when pasted, but so too are the curly brackets/braces.

According to the "View Clipboard" Finder Edit menu item, the text is being copied as Rich Text from Apple's Preview app, but the two instances of uppercase L are not italicized in any app I paste the text into, not just Affinity. Maybe it is an OS level thing?

Affinity Photo 

gratzer, 

I opened the new.pdf you have in Illustrator and there were 13 missing fonts that I did not have on my system and it had to substitute for them. So whether it is Illustrator Or Designer that is the situation that I find myself in with your files. But I was able to copy from the new.pdf and into Designer and was able to italicize and bold those characters that needed it but I have no idea what font to choose. The question I have for you is that in your test.afdesign, the a1, a2, b1, etc, those have been converted to outlines, curves, but what font is that? If you can find out what font that is then it would be a simple matter to change the copied text to that font, and the italicizing and bolded part of that formula would match.

I wonder if this could be resolved from the other end. When Knuth created TeX, he also created the Computer Modern fonts to go with it, which gives TeX and LaTeX  documents their characteristic look. Why not modify your LaTeX document to use a standard system font? Such font files do exist for TeX, though you might have to hunt for them. Your formulae might then translate into Designer with less hassle.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1. John is right, I could use Times instead of Computer Modern fonts (many publishers do for books), there is only one problem: no journal would take my submission.

2.  I attached two pdf files: 

testgood.pdf 

was created with Illustrator, it contains the Principal formula correctly.

testbad.pdf

was created with AD, has lots of errors in the Princ formula: small spaces are represented by a forward slanted `, and the "contained in: symbol isn represented by a composite symbol,

a union combined with a funny back pointing arrow.

I know that the  Computer Modern fonts are not standard, but Illustrator (lucky for mathematicians) does not mind.