You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exit without Save Needed

Why do we not have an Option to Exit without Saving?  If you totally mess up an image by doing something irreversible, you cannot exit without Saving that.  In trying to find a way to eliminate an experimental series of adjustments, filters, etc that I no longer wanted to keep, and certainly did not want cluttering up my History and reducing the number of Undos available, I also experimented with Revert.  It will do what I was hoping, which is take you back to the step you clicked on.  Including all the way to the original first layer!  Problem solved.  Except that Revert is irreversible.  And there's no way to get out of that situation without Saving, which overwrites the home screen image.  Perhaps what I did was stupid but it should not have been fatal.  And it should not be necessary to first duplicate every image you want to work on, just in case you make an irreversible move.

I've been considering posting this very request myself. I find myself experimenting, but then have to save a file and then delete it. Or, if I experiment on an existing home screen file, I'm stuck - save my changes or not, but no option to create a second version (a "Save as..." option). Both of these options would be very welcome to me.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Good!  It's not just me.  I don't know why this was left out of the iPad version.  The OS version not only has Close (with an option to Save or not) but also you can choose whether or not to save History with the file.  Most of the time I prefer not to.  And I'd like that option on the iPad as well.  Or at least, an easy way to delete History steps I don't want to keep.

On 15.7.2017 at 4:21 PM, smadell said:

if I experiment on an existing home screen file, I'm stuck - save my changes or not, but no option to create a second version (a "Save as..." option). Both of these options would be very welcome to me.

If you didn't know from homescreen you can make duplicate file by chosing 3 lines from the bottom right, it says duplicate, so do this before you start experimenting so you still have that original file and you can just save what you did and now you have two versions.

but sure save as would be nice too, but this is how iv done it so far.

That's what I'm doing too...now!  I have also started immediately creating a Snapshot.  That way, I can experiment as much as I like, then select the Snapshot layer in History and use Default>Revert under More to go back to the original state.