You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, melizarev said:

I will put my penny into the discussion.

To isolate color on a separate layer:

1. Add Curves adjustment and put it into luminosity mode

2. Make 'master curve' horizontal. (see the pic below) Now you see only hue + saturation info, because you've wiped out luminosity

image.png.835d59a29e687143fa36b0f2539c0bb5.png

3. Merge visible and change the mode of the merged layer to color

4. Hide merged layer and go curves layer; change blend mode to color. Now you see black and white image

5. Again, merge visible

6. Now activate the layer from step 3.

Now you have it - color on one layer and luminosity on another

What I do not know is: how to make practical use of it:)

I

2 hours ago, melizarev said:

I will put my penny into the discussion.

To isolate color on a separate layer:

1. Add Curves adjustment and put it into luminosity mode

2. Make 'master curve' horizontal. (see the pic below) Now you see only hue + saturation info, because you've wiped out luminosity

image.png.835d59a29e687143fa36b0f2539c0bb5.png

3. Merge visible and change the mode of the merged layer to color

4. Hide merged layer and go curves layer; change blend mode to color. Now you see black and white image

5. Again, merge visible

6. Now activate the layer from step 3.

Now you have it - color on one layer and luminosity on another

What I do not know is: how to make practical use of it:)

Step 1 and 2 can be replaced by a 50% grey layer, blend as luminosity or color.
As to the practical side of it, I use the Luminosity layer to dodge and burn (without being distracted by the color of the image), and the Hues image to see if any hue is out of the intended color harmony for the image.

Macbook Pro // M2 16GB // Ventura 13.2.1 

• 1 month later...

Below is a simple workaround that allows you to let Affinity Photos automatic frequency separation filter do the hard work but still use whatever blur method you want:

Open your document and create as many copies of the original background layer as you would like to have blur affects. For example, AP’s FS filter will create a High Frequency Layer and a Low Frequency Layer based on Gaussian Blur.

If I wanted to have a Median Blur and a Dust and Scratches Blur you would create three additional copies of the original Background Layer. Use the top one to run AP’s Frequency Separation filter. Afterwards the Layers panel would look like this:

High Frequency 
Low Frequency (Gaussian Blur)
Background
Background
Background (Locked)

You could then apply Live Filters (editable) to each of the two Background Layers above the original/locked Background Layer.

Then your Layers panel would look like this:

High Frequency 
Low Frequency (Gaussian Blur)
Background (with child layer - Median Blur)
Background (with child layer - Dust and Scratches)
Background (Locked)

At the point you can turn on only the blur layer between the High Frequency layer and the Original locked layer that you want to apply to the image. The High Frequency Layer will provide the texture to whatever is your blur preference. You could even combine blur effects by using the opacity slider.

Just something to experiment with.

Have fun.

10 hours ago, 0Kami said:

At the point you can turn on only the blur layer between the High Frequency layer and the Original locked layer that you want to apply to the image. The High Frequency Layer will provide the texture to whatever is your blur preference. You could even combine blur effects by using the opacity slider.

You're missing the point of what frequency separation is. If you create frequency separation with one type of blur and then use as the low layer an image with a different blur, combining the two layer will result in a different image.

Try doing what you describe with a radius of 10px or more and see the effect.

MartinsRibeirro, I agree that combining the blur types can create a mess. It would only be used for "creative" experiments. Much like trying different Blend Modes. I should have mentioned this in my comments. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding the creation, of different blurs (gaussian, median, dust and scratches) and using ONLY ONE of them (depending on the type of smoothing you want to apply), does that make sense to you? I played with it and it seemed to give the proper results.

Thanks for your continuing to follow the subject.

Take care and stay safe.

• 10 months later...

Has been a while...

... does anybody know whether there'll be a more advanced FS-Tool in Affinity Photo soon (without workarounds), including median and surface blurs?

The basic version based on gauss is outdated and totally unacceptable for most professional applications.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Affinity as implemented the median blur option on the Frequency Separation filter. At the moment it's only on the beta version 1.9.4.239 on Mac but will be parte of the new update.

This change makes Frequency Separation way better. 

3 hours ago, MartinsRibeiro said:

At the moment it's only on the beta version 1.9.4.239 on Mac...

For some reason I cannot find any place to download any beta 1.9.4.x versions for Mac. In fact, the last entry at Affinity Range Mac Beta Release Notifications currently seems to be for the 1.9.2 betas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, MartinsRibeiro said:

Try here: 

Thanks. Odd that the Mac beta release notifications thread seems to stop at the 1.9.2.x beta versions, issued on March 29.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

37 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Odd that the Mac beta release notifications thread seems to stop at the 1.9.2.x beta versions, issued on March 29.

Administration may be off on holiday, or just on a series of wholly off days.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Administration may be off on holiday, or just on a series of wholly off days.

Always a possibility but it does seem odd that there is no mention of any 1.9.3.x Mac beta versions anywhere I can find.

Affinity Photo