You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone! I've noticed one thing about brush stroke in Affinity Photo, and I'm wondering if it's possible to achieve a certain brush stroke ending at all. So, here is the thing.

If you look at the attached screenshot, you will notice that brush ending in AP is thick (Size Jitter is set to Pressure 70%, see another screenshot), whereas brush stroke f.e. in Sketchbook Pro is thin and smooth. I'm using a Wacom pressure sensitive tablet, of course. I've been playing with all the brush settings but I've not managed to get the same result as I can get in many other programs (may be even in PS?). I always get thin stroke beginning and thick ending. Is there a way to adjust any brush settings to get the same type of line as f.e. Sketchbook Pro and many other programs allow?

5968ca7c1adfe_brushstrokeapvssketchbbokpro.thumb.jpg.b0643e5973722919d1961b4ada6623e0.jpg

my brush settings.jpg

UPD: It looks that in those programs which can provide this kind of brush stroke, brush size jitter is not only controlled by Pressure but also by Velocity at the same time. I mean, to achieve this smooth brush stroke ending hand should "take off" quite quickly.

Edited by lloerau
New ideas

I'm using a Huion 1409, which does not have as fine a pressure control as the Wacom, I'm also rather arthritic, and don't have very fine control pf my fingers. Here's examples of what I get.

First, in Photo:

PhotoLines.thumb.jpg.d213bb5353eb0f471fa5a987c8827223.jpg

Next, in Designer, where many of the strokes are from the vector brush with the controller set to pressure.

DrawLines.thumb.jpg.edea453772d94ea7a4460854508de7f5.jpg

Most get some taper. It seems to me that the response has something to do w. the basic brush shape. Some of the vector lines were harder for me to work w. I do have size jitter set up around 80%

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi gdenbyThanks for your response! Could you show me your brush preferences plz? I can assume, looking at your screenshots, that you probably move your hand quite slowly in order to better control your brush stroke size/flow. Well, yeah, that's an option, but it's too far from natural sketching and drawing experience as well as from good looking result. Working in vector is another solution but, once again, this is not how you sketch and draw on a piece of paper. I just don't get how other software handle this problem. I've already tested Krita, Sketchbook Pro, ClipStudio Paint. They all give you that nice brush stroke ending which is smooth and fades away beautifully. See the attached screenshot.

brush strokes samples.jpg

Well, I've just figured out what my problem was. My stupidity! The problem occurs only in AP Public Beta 1.6.0.75 (Windows). Brush stroke behaves just as expected in Affinity Photo 1.5.2.69 and Designer 1.5.3.69. Sorry! But this topic might be about a certain bug in AP Public Beta 1.6.0.75 (Windows) right?

Ahh, I'm using the Mac beta, so it might be a bug.

2 things to mention. Neither Photo or Designer at core are paint programs. I've used Krita a few times, and it is remarkably good. Clearly made entirely to emulate traditional media.

I think my stroking was at a normal speed for me. But I don't "paint" much anymore. My hands really are super clumsy at this point, so "natural" is not really an option for me. Also very frustrating, as I used to paint portraits for a living. My drawing tended to relate to the now passé style of "photo-realism" and rather fussy traditional academic work.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yes, neither Photo or Designer at core are paint programs, neither are Photoshop and Illustrator by the way, but they might be very good at this. All in all, we just deal with image manipulation process whether it's a painting or a collage, or a retouched photo. It's all about tools you use, and the more you have the better it is. Boundary is getting thinner. Krita is good but this is for another topic. Pity that you don't paint much anymore. But may be you will? You can never know:)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.