You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still struggling with colour selections.

Some advice please on the best way to achieve the following. I have attached a sample product photo from eBay that should be relatively easy to select all the yellow/green colour and recolour it but I have had very limited success with all the selection tools. Using the colour selection tool and playing around with thresholds has given me very rough selections and even the smart selection brush wants to select all shadows and parts of the white background. Some of the selections actually gave me weird results when trying the recolour adjustment i.e. the new colour seemed washed out or not the deep colour I was needing.

The best result I got was to use the flood fill selection tool, select the white background and then invert the selection. This lets me use the recolour adjustment to adjust the hue of the bag but of course that also includes the likes of the black strap fittings and logo so I to duplicate the base layer first and then delete out these areas from the recolour layer.

Any suggestions on the best way to select only the coloured material of the bag so this can be recoloured?

sample colour.PNG

This can be quite hard to do donka with a white BKG and a light yellow bag.
Hide the original layer.
The first thing I did was duplicate the layer then use the selection brush and delete the white BKG and the red items along with the handle and zip so that I was left with just the yellow bag.
I then selected just the yellow bag and used adjustments recolour to colour the bag then unhide the original layer.

I only spent a little time on the attached so they are not perfect but with more time I am sure you will get a good result, the afphoto will show you the layer structure, hope this helps you.

yellow bag.afphoto

yellow bag 1.png

Thanks jhoy. This kind of confirms to me that the colour selection tools in the first place were not quite up to the job and not the best approach to take to accomplish this. I don't mean this as a criticism, I absolutely love this app, it is more of an observation.