Jimmini

Dragging text path handles freezes application

In Affinity Designer 1.5.3.69, when dragging either the start or end handle of the text path in the attached file, while holding the CTRL key, the application slows down significantly and ultimately becomes unresponsive.

TextPathBug.afdesign

Edit: I mean these orange handles which define the text's range:

T3E32Au.png

Sure. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5-7600, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti.

CPU usage goes to about 40%. The same happens in Affinity Photo. It only happens when holding CTRL while dragging the handles. After dragging the handles using CTRL for a bit, it's even slow without pressing any modifier keys afterwards. The amount of time the application freezes depends on for how long I dragged the handles.

Hi jimmini

Would you be able to quickly try this for me. Can your go to preference > performance and change renderer to WARP, This may be slightly slower overall, but it would like to see if it is more consitent and perhaps easier on the CPU

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Sadly still the same. I don't notice any difference.

The application is unusable for a few minutes, even when I manage to deselect the layer and switch tools. Even when the CPU usage drops to 0% again after some time, the application is *very* slow to use afterwards, whenever the document has to be rerendered (where CPU usage even goes to 100% on all four cores).

Changing font, font size, text alignment or transforming the shape doesn't make a difference either.

Im having the same issue as Jimmini, When attempting to move the text parameters on a curve when holding the command button on a mac.

goes to 100% CPU and AD becomes unresponsive. Ive tried in a different user and same issue again.

Specs: Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Makers Mark - Henry.afdesign

6 hours ago, JACKJACK1234 said:

Im having the same issue as Jimmini, When attempting to move the text parameters on a curve when holding the command button on a mac.

goes to 100% CPU and AD becomes unresponsive. Ive tried in a different user and same issue again.

Specs: Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Makers Mark - Henry.afdesign

It seems that Your file is very good AD killer ;)
I've never yet had such problem with AD, but with Your file my copy of AD is unusable and unresponsive.

My config is old a bit, but in most of the tasks is ok:
Xeon E5450 3GHz
8GB RAM (DDR2)
GT 730 2 GB
Windows 7 64bit

Windows 7 | Intel Xeon E5450 | GeForce GT 730 | 8 GB RAM