• Announcements

• Patrick Connor

Forum Upgrade   07/12/2017

Welcome to the upgraded Affinity Forums. This change will allow us to add more features and block spam better. If you have any problems using these forums as a result of the upgrade, please post in the the similarly named News forum thread.
Patrick Connor

Upgraded Affinity forums are here

117 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I have mine set to "Do not send me any notifications", and they don't send me any notifications! blink.gif

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But I want to receive notifications "in-app" -- what on the Notifications Settings page are the switches in the Notifications List column for "Someone comments on something I follow" & so on. I just don't want them sent as emails.

I also want to see them, and I do! They don't send them to me (because I told them not to) so instead of getting emails about them I just see them "in-app" when I visit these forums.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.75)Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.75) • APh for iPad 1.6.3 (but no iPad  yet!)

Windows 10 Home4th gen Core i3 CPU

28 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I also want to see them, and I do! They don't send them to me (because I told them not to) so instead of getting emails about them I just see them "in-app" when I visit these forums.

I want to see them in the Notifications List so I get the little red badge on the Notifications icon at the top of forum pages showing the number of new notifications. If I am online visiting the forum I would also get a popup at the bottom of whatever forum page I am on as soon as someone comments on something I follow. This is what happens when someone quotes me like you did above (or when someone 'likes' one of my posts) because my notifications are set to do that.

I do not want to have to go to any particular forum & scan the list looking for starred topics or search for ones with new 'likes' -- by using the Notifications List popup at the top of the page I can go directly to any post in the list (like your last one) from any forum page. It is a very useful, time saving feature ... or it would be if I could just change the notification settings for comments I follow from email to Notifications List.

I believe this is how the notifications feature of the new software is intended to work, so I am very frustrated by the seemingly arbitrary decision to lock us out of setting notification preferences to whatever works best for each of us.

harrym likes this

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

..... -- it sends me to the settings page with the "Someone comments on something I follow" option highlighted. The problem is both switches (for in-app & email notifications) are disabled, with email notifications set to on & in-app ones to off. ....

I think that's something only the forum administrators can change. 

I agree it is annoying as I also don't want the emails and would prefer only the in-app notification 

But I believe it to be an oversight rather than a deliberate action by the administrators to force you/us to receive an email for this particular notification.

Hopefully when they have some spare time, someone will find the setting and change it.

Due to the impending Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

But I believe it to be an oversight rather than a deliberate action by the administrators to force you/us to receive an email for this particular notification.

I hope you are right about that. The only thing that worries me about it is it seems to be a simple thing to change that would take just a few minutes for anyone with admin access to change, at least according to the forum software guide.

I understand that they have been busy adding things like emoticon support & attachment management improvements. I appreciate that as much as anybody, but I do not know if they understand that for some of us the inability to shut off email notifications is more than a petty annoyance. I cannot allow my email inbox to fill up with all the emails I am getting -- if nothing else, it makes finding important, time sensitive emails on my phone a painfully slow, battery eating process when I have to rely on a slow cellular connection. :(

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

On 20 July 2017 at 11:36 AM, R C-R said:

....The only thing that worries me about it is it seems to be a simple thing to change that would take just a few minutes for anyone with admin access to change, at least according to the forum software guide.

If it's not changed by the end of the week.... we march on Nottingham.

Gear maker and MBd like this

Due to the impending Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

I hope I’m not misunderstanding that but I do get notifications via the icon at the top (and if the site is open, even desktop notifications) and no e-mails. And other than setting the preference for the desktop notifications I didn’t have to do anything, so I find it strange that you’re getting e-mails and no forum notifications. Perhaps you had different settings in the old forum that the new one has guessed while adapting?

38 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Perhaps you had different settings in the old forum that the new one has guessed while adapting?

On your Notifications Settings page, there should be a line in the Geneal section for "Someone comments on something I follow." For me, the switch in the Notifications List column is off & I cannot change that. The switch in the Email column is on & I cannot change that either -- both switches are greyed out & I get a popup message when I roll the pointer over either of them saying "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled."

Do you see the same thing?

I have to say that I’m still finding this “upgraded” forum less than intuitive to useO.o
Maybe someone should do an official video tutorial on how to get to grips with itxD

R C-R and A_B_C like this

15" Macbook Pro + 22" HD Monitor ~ OSX 10.11.6 ~ 2 Core i7 2.6GHz CPU ~ 8GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro

29 minutes ago, R C-R said:

On your Notifications Settings page, there should be a line in the Geneal section for "Someone comments on something I follow." For me, the switch in the Notifications List column is off & I cannot change that. The switch in the Email column is on & I cannot change that either -- both switches are greyed out & I get a popup message when I roll the pointer over either of them saying "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled."

Do you see the same thing?

I see the same thing. I also see that the option to turn off email notifications when I receive a message is similarly disabled: I don't want that, because I'll send a reply (if applicable) from these forums, so I'll see the message anyway when I come here.

I don't need a 'New content for things I follow' email notification, either. I don't know how or when that got turned on, but I've just turned it off!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.75)Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.75) • APh for iPad 1.6.3 (but no iPad  yet!)

Hmm … I fear I do not completely understand all this, but here is what I have done. I checked “Do not send me notifications” on my settings panel, and as a consequence, I do not get any notifications by email. However, it seems I get the little red badge up in the header of the forum pages, whenever, for instance, someone likes a post of mine … wouldn’t that work for notifications too? And what would I have to do to test this? 

Notifications.png

21 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Hmm … I fear I do not completely understand all this, but here is what I have done. I checked “Do not send me notifications” on my settings panel, and as a consequence, I do not get any notifications by email. However, it seems I get the little red badge up in the header of the forum pages, whenever, for instance, someone likes a post of mine … wouldn’t that work for notifications too? And what would I have to do to test this? 

I was going to post a similar reply, Alex, but then I noticed that @R C-R was referring to the ability to get an "in-app" notification (i.e. the little red badge on the Notification icon) if "Someone comments on something I follow." If you check "Do not send me notifications", as you and I have done, then you still get an in-app notification if someone likes one of your posts, but not if someone comments on something you follow.

A_B_C likes this

Alfred online2long.gif

11 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

I don't understand it either. Absent any kind of guide or help page, it seems the only way to figure out how it works is by trial & error -- not the most user friendly thing in the world, particularly for a product support site.

As far as settings go, I do want to get emails for news & info -- they are infrequent & may contain something I want to know about. I also want to automatically follow topics I create or reply to. This is how I had the old version set up. For me it was convenient & unobtrusive. I have maybe wrongly assumed that in the 'method used' section, if I used the last option ("Do not send me notifications") I would get no notifications at all, including 'in-app' ones, whereas the first option ("A notification when new content is posted") would enable the 'in-app' notifications like the badge & popup list in the header, & had nothing to do with turning on & off email or with digests since unlike the middle two options, it does not say anything one way or the other about sending emails.

A_B_C likes this

Thank you both … :)

(I see what you want to achieve, but until we will get an official statement on how all that works I fear I will simply leave notifications disabled. I certainly don’t want to be flooded with emails, as you described, R C-R …)

This was mentioned as a feature that would be lost with the upgrade. It won't be coming back, as far as I'm aware.

Alfred online2long.gif

I have not had any problems with the new Forum until I tried to edit a recent post. Having completed my edits, I was offered the choices: 'Cancel' and 'Edit Post'. I thought I had just finished editing the post, but apparently this is the one to click. 

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.5.2 and Designer 1.5.3, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

32 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I have not had any problems with the new Forum until I tried to edit a recent post. Having completed my edits, I was offered the choices: 'Cancel' and 'Edit Post'. I thought I had just finished editing the post, but apparently this is the one to click. 

That's very odd, John! I get a choice between 'Cancel' and 'Save', as you would expect.

Alfred online2long.gif