You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It seems like an Lightroom competitor is more important then a layout competitor

My favorite Catalina feature is splitting iTunes apart into several different apps but if it means it will screw up my workflow then I can't update. Photoshop CS6 could run on Catalina with a work around. They were showing this off when Catalina first came out. I hope the newer Catalina point fixes have made comparability even better though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:51 PM, rhmb said:

I suspect part of the problem with them solving the Affinity bugs in Apple Photos is that it only seems to affect some users. 

Yes, I can verify that as well. I just had a chance to play with it on my Catalina laptop and it half works. Develop extension is fine but I can't save adjustments from the full Affinity app. Weird that Mojave, Photos 4 would work perfect. At least working partially is a step in the right direction.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, KipV said:

I also wonder why Apple doesn't put out point releases for Photos? It seems like after half a year we would have a 5.1 out now? Something that addresses things like extension problems. My guess is that there are things that each company can do on the side to improve fixing the problem.

Hard to say how much the issue is with Apple and how much with Affinity. That said, the On1 Photo Raw extension works flawlessly with Apple photos as does External Editors for Photos (dates back to High Sierra days but still works with Catalina ....not bad for a $1.50 app). 

On 7/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, KipV said:

Develop extension is fine but I can't save adjustments from the full Affinity app

I have the opposite experience. The Develop extension will not save edits to raw photos but the Edit in Affinity extension does - most of the time. But since the Edit in Affinity extension cannot be relied upon to save edits every time, and since the Develop extension cannot fulfil its primary purpose which is to develop raw photos, I no longer use either within Apple Photos. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Apple would put help with their Photos extension developers if they were going to open their product up to the 3rd party. Which ever program has most of the error they could put more focus on working together to solve it over releasing the next version of Photos. That was supposed to be one of the main reasons Photos was replacing iPhoto and Aperture. Oh well

On 7/12/2017 at 11:00 PM, KipV said:

Over the last couple of days I have been trying out the latest version of Quark that I have been really enjoying using (2017 is the only version I have used.) To me it seems like this is going to be a very hard area for Serif to compete in given that there are two products that many are happy with that have been advancing since the 1980s (or at least there are people that are happy with one of those two options.) Even if Publisher was out today it would still have a massive challenge in competing with these two options especially at Quark's new low $400 entry price (and yes that is low for a product of that level.)

To me it seems like Lightroom like products would be so much easier to compete with due to the fact that it is a field that is only about ten years old and still has a lot of room to grow. I still have several major grips with LR and also the way that Affinity Photo interacts with catalog software like Apple Photos. It just seems like the more logical step to me. I think the fact that LR is the one app that hasn't not yet been subscription only shows that Adobe is aware that customers could easily move off this product to a competitor more easily then many other more well established products.

While I understand the calls for Serif to produce a RAW editor like Lightroom, that market is already crowded with paid-for and free alternatives such as ON1 Photo RAW and Darktable. I'm not sure that it's worth their while entering that saturated market while they have other very good existing products that need to be kept up to date.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, Snapseed said:

While I understand the calls for Serif to produce a RAW editor like Lightroom, that market is already crowded with paid-for and free alternatives such as ON1 Photo RAW and Darktable. I'm not sure that it's worth their while entering that saturated market while they have other very good existing products that need to be kept up to date.

Yes, I agree now too. I think the original post was from three years ago before I tried good competitors like Capture One Pro and especially Capture One Pro 20.1. I still think they have a little ways to got in order to become a major player in with Desktop Publishing.