You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 3)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Incidentally, if you just had a simple, single artboard document, does it still activate the fans after 10 minutes?

Playing around in a document with no artboards works perfectly, fans stay off, inserting just 1 artboard and working a bit heats up my macbook fast.

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

[ UPDATE ] When the MAC is getting hot and the fans are ON.

CPU: 126%

Memory: 4.21Gb goes for AFD.

Enery: Energetic impact 380, Average energy impact 300, app Nap YES.

When I change to another application everything goes fine. It doesn't matters if I close the app or not.

The fact to change to another application is enough to decrease the MAC workload.

• Staff

Gah! I've had the Late 2013 MacBook Pro in front of me, running the Metal view mode with a 5 artboard document for over an hour now and it's stone cold and I can only make the 'Energy Impact' go above 90 by opening one of the more complicated sample documents and panning and zooming like a mad-man! Normally, it says 'Energy impact: 4.2' or something similar - my average says '3.98' at the moment...

The MacBook Pro I'm testing on is running Sierra 10.12.6, is a 15-inch, Late 2013 model with 2GHz i7, 8GB RAM and Intel Iris Pro 1536MB graphics.

Would someone be able to send me a file that definitely causes the problem for you? Anything you send to support@seriflabs.com will get picked up by me and only used for debugging this problem, then deleted.

Thanks!

Matt

Sorry Matt, from my side I can't send you that document due the company privacy policy.

Maybe Pining can send you an example.

The real thing is that personally I'm only having that issue with that big document. I have other ones with less art boards and pages without any issue.

I'm still believing that could be just a graphic performance issue due the document complexity and my machine specs.

I could not reproduce the issue with just one art board as Pining was comment above. Neither with other documents with 10 or 20 artboards.

Really with that document I'm having graphical performance issues. I believe due my machine or my rules to create the objects and layers.

When I place an object from the asset panel  in one of the 150 artboards, the system takes about 5 seconds to show me the object. If I delete something the same thing, about 5 seconds to refresh the screen.

When I create a new page (artboard) the system takes about 10 seconds to refresh the document and show me the other artboards. In the mind time the full document is empty at screen. In that moment the fans switches ON and the Mac gets hot. After refresh everything the fans switches OFF and the Mac return to be cold.

It seems, you'll now better than me, that every change that affect the full document is upload in memory or something like that. Not panning or zooming issue that works perfect after the system have refresh the full document with every big change. That only happens with big changes not adding or deleting objects that only takes 5 seconds to be refresh.

With other documents the refresh is immediately and doesn't have any energy impact.

hope that can clarify the situation.

Thanks

Heri

Here I attach a little video trying to explain the situation.

When you see the selection of the object the delete key is pressed immediately. You will see that takes about 5 seconds to disappear. 

Same placing or erasing again different objects.

Erase or delete don't make the fans switch ON but in the first moment I place the artboard fans and temperature switches ON. Panning and zooming decreases.

P.S. Sorry for the size of the video... jeje

Thanks

Graphical_Permorfance_Issue.mov

Okay so I have been looking for what could possibly be the cause and so far I've consistently got my macbook fans to start spinning when I'm drawing rectangles and having snapping enabled. This doesn't happen in OpenGL view (or at least not as bad).  With snapping off everything seems to be alright, maybe metal doesn't like to draw the snapping lines if that makes sense? I've been drawing rectangles for like an hour or so and so far I'm convinced snapping is the only thing causing it, not artboards or number of objects per se (need things to snap to though I think?).

Hero do you have the same issues when having snapping disabled?

I have attached a workfile but I don't think it matters all that much, this one is just a bunch of rectangles for testing.

squaresfortesting.afdesign

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

I just upgraded my system to Sierra and don't know if this is caused by that or Beta 3.  I am finding that guides are out of position sometimes.  Depending on the zoom I see a guide that is shown maybe a quarter of an inch off from where AD thinks it is.  AD thinks it's in the correct position, but it's shown out of position.  If I try to move the guide the guide cursor does not show when hovering over the offending guide.  But it does show when hovering over where the guide should be.  Also snapping is done where the guide should be, not where it is shown.  Then suddenly the guide snaps into the proper position.  This morning I've probably had this happen a good dozen times.

I find that as I zoom the guide twitches trying to be displayed in the position.  Then when my zoom is done sometimes it's in the proper position and other times it isn't.  The zoom I am using is by the center wheel of the mouse while holding the opt key.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

I just upgraded my system to Sierra and don't know if this is caused by that or Beta 3.  I am finding that guides are out of position sometimes.  Depending on the zoom I see a guide that is shown maybe a quarter of an inch off from where AD thinks it is.  AD thinks it's in the correct position, but it's shown out of position.  If I try to move the guide the guide cursor does not show when hovering over the offending guide.  But it does show when hovering over where the guide should be.  Also snapping is done where the guide should be, not where it is shown.  Then suddenly the guide snaps into the proper position.  This morning I've probably had this happen a good dozen times.

I find that as I zoom the guide twitches trying to be displayed in the position.  Then when my zoom is done sometimes it's in the proper position and other times it isn't.  The zoom I am using is by the center wheel of the mouse while holding the opt key.

Hi Gear maker!

Just grab the new Designer Beta 4 and it should all be fine! Sorry about that...

Matt

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Interestingly... I noticed in Herojas's video that snapping is turned on... How are things with Snapping off?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Matt

For me nothing changes.

It is doesn't matter is I enable snapping or not. In the moment I create a new artboard in the document the performance decreases Mac gets hot and fans are fully enabled.

I attach the settings I always have to make this kind of documents.

UPDATE also I have disable all artboards except 10 of them, just in case could be the snapping with the full document but still the same. 

Thanks

Snapping settings.png

On 25/07/2017 at 11:07 AM, MattP said:

Would you be able to share a document that shows the problem? It might be much easier to diagnose/advise :)

On 25/07/2017 at 3:55 PM, A_B_C said:

Hi farbenfeuer,

are you sure that you are embedding your color profile during export? When I load an unprofiled image with a solid background color of #a5d0d0 in Safari, I will measure precisely #a4d0cf with my screen color picker. However, when I embed the standard sRGB profile, this does not happen.

Furthermore, I have the impression that you are talking about images on Wordpress, and in this case, you will have to take into account what Wordpress does with your uploaded images. Are you sure that Wordpress doesn’t perform any profile changes? I haven’t used Wordpress in a while, but I remember there were some issues:

“Keep in mind that some sRGB images still may have slight shifts in color when they are resized on the server. If you want to make sure your colors are as close as possible to the original, upload your images in the same dimensions that you’d like to display them on your blog and insert them at full size with no image dimensions.”

https://en.support.wordpress.com/images/troubleshooting-images/

Hope that helps … :)

Alex

Hey guys, sorry for the late response.

i will try what A_B_C said and see if this in fact the case. I wasn't aware Wordpress changes profiles also. 

Thanks for your help though!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.