You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 3)

On 7/19/2017 at 5:21 AM, MattP said:

Thank you! I'll have to dig out a mouse.... and a USB A->C converter! ;) 

Welcome to the Planet of the Dongles...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi MattP

On 12/07/2017 at 9:28 AM, MattP said:

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Light UI improvements
  • Improved Metal performance on High Sierra and fixed High Sierra Beta 3 bug with incorrect colour management in Metal View *
  • Potentially large performance improvements when panning/zooming on complex documents
  • Fix for export slices not updating correctly when their artboard is transformed
  • Added 'Unlock All' and 'Show All' menu items (on the Layer menu)... finally...  :lol:
  • Numerous bug fixes and other improvements

Hi MattP, in another thread we talked about prototyping persona : 

Will it come in this 1.6 version like you said or later. No stress, just by curiosity.

Thank you

G

• Staff
10 hours ago, G.M.1986 said:

Hi MattP

Hi MattP, in another thread we talked about prototyping persona : 

Will it come in this 1.6 version like you said or later. No stress, just by curiosity.

Thank you

G

Hi,

I think I might've mentioned in another thread a while ago, but we have temporarily removed all the prototyping UI and stopped our iPad Mirror project. The iPad Mirror wasn't what we hoped it would be by the time it was finished, and it was at the core of our prototyping experience - and we realised it really wasn't going to offer the user what we wanted to, so we're doing it differently - and hopefully our ideas and USP will appeal to everyone when it arrives :)

Thanks,

Matt

I also still have the strangest issues with colors. For example: i just had a part in a webdesign where the background of the section is a light-blue (#a5d0d0). I went ahead and put a graphic underneath with a sky and gave it the same color value (#a5d0d0). But when i export it as jpg and upload it to the website it's a different value. Using the Photoshop color picker it says the graphic now has #9acac9. But if i go ahead and open the same graphic as jpg in photoshop (not the screenshot) it gives me again another value (#a4d0cf) and only if i then export it from Photoshop and upload it again the color shift is at least not noticeable anymore.

Whats up with that? I mentioned this problem ages ago, but still have no answer about this (in my opinion very serious) issue. 

If i remember correctly the same thing happens with any other values (cmyk and such) including the also bug reported issue with color values getting overly saturated after exporting to jpg in certain cases.

I'm still puzzled why noone else reported this? Am i the only one with this problem? 

I would love some answers here. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.48.30.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.48.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.49.20.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.50.27.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.53.38.png

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

thought about that too, but as far as i'm aware of Color Profiles, this should mean they have both the same, no?

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.05.44.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 11.05.47.png

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Hi farbenfeuer,

are you sure that you are embedding your color profile during export? When I load an unprofiled image with a solid background color of #a5d0d0 in Safari, I will measure precisely #a4d0cf with my screen color picker. However, when I embed the standard sRGB profile, this does not happen.

Furthermore, I have the impression that you are talking about images on Wordpress, and in this case, you will have to take into account what Wordpress does with your uploaded images. Are you sure that Wordpress doesn’t perform any profile changes? I haven’t used Wordpress in a while, but I remember there were some issues:

“Keep in mind that some sRGB images still may have slight shifts in color when they are resized on the server. If you want to make sure your colors are as close as possible to the original, upload your images in the same dimensions that you’d like to display them on your blog and insert them at full size with no image dimensions.”

https://en.support.wordpress.com/images/troubleshooting-images/

Hope that helps … :)

Alex

On 24-7-2017 at 5:32 PM, A_B_C said:

Hi Matt,

is there a chance to remove the Nudge Distances settings from the Preferences and put them at the bottom of the Transform Panel? It is somewhat tedious to open the Preferences, find the right Tab, adjust the settings, go back to the art work … hmm …

Thanks for considering,

Alex :)

I second this from the perspective of having document wide nudge settings instead of application wide nudge settings. I usually set the nudge settings to the same unit as my grid, and changing them every time I switch projects is a bit of a nuisance.

I'm getting some artifacts/remnants when dragging shapes around, I'm not getting this on 1.5. Figured it might be a Metal or OpenGL problem but switching between them shows the same behaviour, here a gif of what I mean.

Also some texts and icons are blurry and I think this is caused by my dual monitor set up, when I drag affinity designer to the other screen and back onto my mac screen everything is nice and sharp again. My secondary monitor is not retina so perhaps that's the cause, I attached screenshots showing this.

Also the app crashed a few times, not sure the cause but when opening the app again the startup panel is blocking the restore/recovery buttons and cannot be closed. My work around for this is dragging either the panel or the app to my second screen to proceed.

blurred-tab-titles-and-tools.png

sharp-tab-titles-and-tools.png

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

• Staff

Hi Pining,

I mentioned those artefacts in another post - they're fixed for the next build - they were present in both OpenGL and Metal versions and were due to a command change that had some consequences, sorry... :(

Thanks again,

Matt

Morning all at Affinity

I enjoy using Affinity Designer for the most part and it continues to improve. There are a couple of things I do find annoying however. 1. Lock, Unlock, Unlock all – I want to be able to select an object, lock it using a keyboard shortcut return to later and unlock it with another keyboard shortcut. This simply does not work at the moment and using the layer menu to unlock objects is a complete pain especially in complicated illustrations. 2. The inability to apply outline mode to individual layers rather than the whole document. How do people work on complex projects without this feature.

Thanks for your continuing hard work.

Jim

JMaguire,

What you are referring to in regards to locking and unlocking with a shortcut can be done with ease now. You can easily select an object and lock it although you can't unlock only one item without making a trip to the Layers Panel, you can simply "Unlock All" with a shortcut though (and save the trip to the Layers panel). I'm guessing that the reason for this is, once an item is locked, it is unselectable without making a trip to the Layers Panel to click on it and thus selecting it. You will have to go to the Preferences and create a shortcut for the "unlock all" command though (and the "Show All" command which is even more useful to me)! 

I agree with you about the need for a way to show outlines on a per layer basis, it is extreme important to have with complex drawings. 

Hokusai

With Metal enabled and using a grid it is visible on all artboards but only shows the grid correctly on one. Seems to also have some performance issue as it gets the fans spinning in my mac on max, the visual error and mac heating up does not happen on OpenGL.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 03.07.54.png

Currently working on a blog to share design, game development and web related things. Check it out here at goede.site! Also working on a transition guide for Illustrator users moving to Affinity Designer :26_nerd:, if you have any handy tips or resources I would love to know about them.

• Staff
4 hours ago, Pining said:

With Metal enabled and using a grid it is visible on all artboards but only shows the grid correctly on one. Seems to also have some performance issue as it gets the fans spinning in my mac on max, the visual error and mac heating up does not happen on OpenGL.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 03.07.54.png

What spec is your Mac and what OS are you using? There's approximately 15% of the workload in Metal vs OpenGL so your Mac should've been MUCH happier?... :S

mac heating up does not happen on OpenGL

It's happening to me also.

I don't remember the last time the MacBook Pro fans stayed switched ON.

Actually with metal activated and working with it the fans of the MAC are always ON and the MAC is very hot.

Maybe is because I'm working with a 100 pages document. The fact is if I select OpenGL the performance decreases but the Mac stay cold and the fans are OFF.

Hardware MacBook Pro 15" LATE 2013 and MACOS HIGH SIERRA DEV 4.

Software AFD 1.6 BETA 3.

• Staff

For context, I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro with either the integrated GPU or the discrete GPU and my machine is cool and no fans coming on...

I've also tried this on a 2017 MacBook with Core m3 processor and it stays cool... 

O.o

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Do you have the 'Use only integrated GPU' option checked or not?

@Herojas93 - Does your MacBook Pro have a discrete GPU?

I have the Macbook as it comes from factory. INTEL IRIS PRO GRAPHICS 1536MB

"Use only integrated GPU" NOT CHECKED.

Really I still don't understand the difference between check it or not when you don't have any external GPU. With my actual configuration what is best check it or not?

Actually I'm working with a document with about 130 pages (artboards), many effects and about 200Mb of size.

In the fist moment I open the document not fans and Mac still cold, about 10 minutes later the Mac start getting hot and the fans are switched ON all time.

When I close AFD everything comes to normal. Mac is cold and fans are switched OFF.

Another thing, I was checking the Activity Monitor:

Memory: 3Gb goes for AFD.

Enery: Energetic impact 2.6, Average energy impact 4.67, app Nap YES.

• Staff
34 minutes ago, Herojas93 said:

I have the Macbook as it comes from factory. INTEL IRIS PRO GRAPHICS 1536MB

Thanks. I only asked as you're able to get this model with a discrete Nvidia card too and I didn't know which one you had....

The checkbox for 'Use integrated GPU only' will make no difference in your case as there is only the integrated GPU, so it would not be choosing the other... I'll try to get hold of one of these variants and see what happens. Incidentally, if you just had a simple, single artboard document, does it still activate the fans after 10 minutes?

If there's something going wrong, I obviously want to find and fix it before I push an update!

Many thanks,

Matt

Edited to add: I've managed to find a 2013 MacBook Pro with Iris Pro graphics and it's currently being updated to Sierra for me so that I can run with Metal turned on... I'll let you know what I find, but in the meantime it would be very useful to know if you still get problems with a much simpler document (as the number of artboards should not have any impact on the GPU workload...)

Ok, I understand.

"Incidentally, if you just had a simple, single artboard document, does it still activate the fans after 10 minutes?"

No they stay switched OFF and Mac cold.

That's the reason I believe it could just be the graphic performance of my MAC. I had never seen that behavior before. Also I had never worked with that size off document before.

That is I was thinking it until I read that Pining was having same issue with temperature in the MAC with metal activated.

Added a screenshot of my specs, I don't have 'Use integrated GPU only' checked as my macbook has no discrete videocard. The grid only shows on all artboards (incorrectly) when view quality is set on nearest neighbour and Metal is enabled. Seems like there is no connection between macbook heating up and enabling grids as the same happens without grid now I checked it out more, only on Metal though. 

2 hours ago, Herojas93 said:

The fact is if I select OpenGL the performance decreases but the Mac stay cold and the fans are OFF.

This describes my experience as well. Hope it can be sorted out for the next build :D

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 12.33.39.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.