You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do a twist

This is the first time I've offered a 'How To' suggestion. Check out this file. Let me know if it is of any use.

Twist.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

What do you mean MEB?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The line gradients come from a custom brush. I will create some more brushes and provide artwork files for those who want to use them.

The spell check on this seems to be US!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks. I like experimenting with custom brushes. Can you tell me how I can create a custom brush that will use the colours I give it in the same way as the bitmap brushes do. At the moment all my 'Textured image brushes' are always shades of grey.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack,

Yah, You should be able to use those same gray scale images but I would make my gradient go from white to black and make it a custom intensity brush. Then you can select a color of your stroke and it will use that color. where it is white is the full intensity of the color and the opposite will take place in the black areas and anything in the grays will be the percentage of the color intensity.

Does that make sense?

samples brushes attached

You can really come up with some cool effects. I can see this in a medical xray drawing ( with tapered ends) ;) just change the profile  and in the brush editor the size variance. !Don't know if I can use pressure sensitivity. I dont think that works I could be wrong.

Thanks  for bringing up this topic. Very interesting. Definitely inspired by this technique and effect!

gredient-_twist-test.png

Ronnies Gradient Strokes Brush.afbrushes.zip

Hi Ronnie,

That's not quite what I mean but I see that it is not possible to do what I wanted to do.

What is the point of having those few coloured bitmap brushes if all you can do is have varing shades of the same colour. For example  brush image 100 is a multi-coloured scarf but you cannot use those colours; only the colour you choose.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Jack,

Lets not give up on this just yet. I may not understand fully what you are trying to achieve. Can you explain a bit more or supply a sample. What you have been doing in your tutorial and the sock sample are two different brush types. One is a Intensity brush. and the other is textured brush. there more on this in the help files.

Do realize that a custom stroke brush based off of pixels data is just repeating the image along a path it does not give you the flexibility of a vector brush that based off of math data.

The example you pointed out is a pixel image and the data is related to how pixels system of defining image data. If you wanted to change the color of the individual multi-color pixel data you would have to do that in the original image that defines the that stroke. when you apply a color all it doing is overlaying color data from to different systems that don't communicate the same way. We just need to understand the differences and what we want to achieve in the end. It sound like right now there might be a bit of confusion between the flexibility AD offers us between these two worlds that other applications may or may not be able to achieve in the way that it implemented here. If you want a specific color just make a gradient in that hue,saturation and lightness value and export that as the base of your brush.

Check out this file of a custom brush I created for drawing the DNA helix.

The 'Body' is set to 'Repeat'.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Check out this file of a custom brush I created for drawing the DNA helix.

The 'Body' is set to 'Repeat'.

post-608-0-99548400-1422744826_thumb.jpg

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Is it possible for some to load a custom brush from an attached Affinity file?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

No, you have to supply them with the custom brush file. Export the brush file if you want to share it. 

Thanks Ronnie. Can you just guide me through how you do that please?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Sure Jack it  is as easy as creating  a brush.

1. go to your brush palette 

2. create a category  it under the brush option of the palette.

3. rename your category ( whatever makes sense to you) 

4. if you  have created the brush already in  a different category then go to that brush right click it and move it to your newly created category

5. click the brush option and export category. done

If you're still confused check out my video at the 8 minute mark:  

• 5 months later...

Hi Ronnie...

I have downloaded your gradient strokes brushes and the have "apparently" been inserted into the app. So it has announced it to me me in my "let's saee if it works" five tryings. The result is that now I have those brushes and do not now exactly where to find them in order to use them.

Can you..any of you, give a clue about where to look for them? obviously they are not normal vector or raster brushes, nor they are styles (I already have kooked for them in the styles palette) and...mmmmmm.....you see...I am lost.

Rosa

Hi Ronnie...

I have downloaded your gradient strokes brushes and the have "apparently" been inserted into the app. So it has announced it to me me in my "let's saee if it works" five tryings. The result is that now I have those brushes and do not now exactly where to find them in order to use them.

Can you..any of you, give a clue about where to look for them? obviously they are not normal vector or raster brushes, nor they are styles (I already have kooked for them in the styles palette) and...mmmmmm.....you see...I am lost.

Rosa

Hello Rosa

Hmm, let me see. in the Brush Palette there a drop down, click on the drop down and set it to Ronnie Gradient brush. MY brush should be in the list. Are you not seeing it there in the palette brush list at all?

Ayyyy!.....nothing appears. MEB has asked me wether I was meaning Affinity Designer. I hope is that so. And suggested me to go to Pixel Persona and check it out in the brush palette. You name is not there at all. And after the app, it has been properly installed in "five times"!!! ( as I have said, that is because I have clicked it on it some times when it was in my desktop) I am starting to think that I may not get it. But on the other hand I have got some other brushes without any trouble. Daub´s one...your smoke´s one too...and so, and even installed som the I have taken from Photoshop...so....

Rosa

Well, I did make that brush some time ago. I just re-exported this brush. try reimporting this one and see if this one works. 

here is a new link: Click to download

@Rosa,

Did you do what I did, and try to install them in Photo?  I had the same problem as you did till I read MEB's post and realized that I was in the wrong program.

@Ronnie,

Thanks!  Those are very nice brushes.

@Rosa,

Did you do what I did, and try to install them in Photo?  I had the same problem as you did till I read MEB's post and realized that I was in the wrong program.

@Ronnie,

Thanks!  Those are very nice brushes.

You are very welcome Lille!