You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I more or less understand how you can create a new bitmap-based "vector brush". But I need my output to be pure vector (no rasterisation) and I'm wondering if something like in the image attached could be created as a custom vector stroke brush?

It's simply two lines with crossed lines in the middle.

Is there any way to create a brush like this that could be: 1) Applied to a stroke; 2) Pure vector (no bitmap or rasterisation on export).

Thanks in advance!

post-17378-0-12667200-1499862792_thumb.png

Thank you.

As I understand it, it's not currently possible to import Illustrator vector brushes either, correct?

So I was wondering if it's possible edit an existing stroke brush. Please see the image attached. I'm trying to create a single line with breaks in it, by using the pressure tool. But while it appears that these changes are saved on the brush, if I try to apply to a simple line, the effect is not transferred to this line.

post-17378-0-18312300-1499865088_thumb.png

You may be able to make what you want by changing the pressure curve on pen strokes.

Attached, a stroke with varied width, all the way down to a seeming break. The stroke, the stroke filled w. a gradient, and then that w transparency added.

post-34886-0-02694500-1499876886_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

You may be able to make what you want by changing the pressure curve on pen strokes.

Attached, a stroke with varied width, all the way down to a seeming break. The stroke, the stroke filled w. a gradient, and then that w transparency added.

attachicon.gifStrokePressure.jpg

That's what I would normally do, and I'm living in hope that a much more detailed and customisable pressure interface arrives ......... It's truly essential to me as a designer. But here I'm trying to edit a pure vector brush, so I can apply that kind of effect to multiple lines. But my edits are just not being applied (I'm on the latest Beta, by the way).

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Johnny Chin said:

how do I export without rasterise them?

@Johnny Chin It's NOT possible, they will be rasterised. You would need to create those shapes with shapes.

If, as I suspect, they will be used repeatedly, they can be saved as Assets that you can drag onto the artwork as needed. You can create the arrowhead with a triangle slightly stretched and the arc can be created using the donut shape, pie shape etc, you can create a 45deg arc convert it to curves, break the three node points and delete the straight curves leaving the 45º arc.

Here is an example of what you can do: Origami fold indicators.afassets
1418023388_ScreenShot2019-12-31at12_14_30.png.18efb51279fb415e5ab183a859c60995.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@Johnny Chin It's NOT possible, they will be rasterised. You would need to create those shapes with shapes.

If, as I suspect, they will be used repeatedly, they can be saved as Assets that you can drag onto the artwork as needed. You can create the arrowhead with a triangle slightly stretched and the arc can be created using the donut shape, pie shape etc, you can create a 45deg arc convert it to curves, break the three node points and delete the straight curves leaving the 45º arc.

Here is an example of what you can do: Origami fold indicators.afassets
1418023388_ScreenShot2019-12-31at12_14_30.png.18efb51279fb415e5ab183a859c60995.png

Thanks but I’m my actual use it’s not as simple as drag and drop, they will be different size, direction and length, and the arrowhead is different tooACAB146C-BDB4-4B2A-8DBB-DE1DC091878B.jpeg.2ac6d21a3612bc52ea186ce822fa32bf.jpeg

i need these

3 hours ago, Johnny Chin said:

Thanks but I’m my actual use it’s not as simple as drag and drop, they will be different size, direction and length, and the arrowhead is different tooACAB146C-BDB4-4B2A-8DBB-DE1DC091878B.jpeg.2ac6d21a3612bc52ea186ce822fa32bf.jpeg

i need these

Have you tried using simple lines (created by the pen tool) and setting an appropriate stroke and arrowheads using the built-in arrowhead support?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

46 minutes ago, Johnny Chin said:

Hmm sure I did but as you can see, 5/7 of those design are not available 

So you need exactly your brushes, and nothing else is acceptable?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Ji Johnny Chin,
Since the brushes you created use custom textures (which are just raster/images stretched or repeated along a path) they cannot be exported as vectors. I'm afraid there's no way to do what you want if you need that type of arrows coupled with edibility until we improve the vector brush engine to support vector objects as "sources" for the brushes.

The only option are Assets as reproducible objects, these can be components that can be brought together to form more complex components. 

So draw all the arrow heads you need and then draw the lines and then any shapes like circles. This is the only way to maintain vector status for components.

As shown in my uploaded assets example.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

So you need exactly your brushes, and nothing else is acceptable?

YES, look I appreciate your help but I notice you tend to be biased to make people work within Affinity current limitation, it’s not how design work, people want creative expression, if you know it’s not possible and other workaround is possible, please be honest and just tell the truth, it will save both of our time more, if the limited option of Affinity work for me, I don’t have to ask here, obviously

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The only option are Assets as reproducible objects, these can be components that can be brought together to form more complex components. 

So draw all the arrow heads you need and then draw the lines and then any shapes like circles. This is the only way to maintain vector status for components.

As shown in my uploaded assets example.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Ji Johnny Chin,
Since the brushes you created use custom textures (which are just raster/images stretched or repeated along a path) they cannot be exported as vectors. I'm afraid there's no way to do what you want if you need that type of arrows coupled with edibility until we improve the vector brush engine to support vector objects as "sources" for the brushes.

Ok but I found out that there’s an arrowhead file in illustrator and people can modify them to use their own custom arrowhead, I wonder this is possible with Affinity Designer? I hope so because it will save me a lot time! Please reply me ASAP 

https://www.podcastdesigner.com/blog/create-custom-arrowheads-illustrator

also, a user told me that even the vector in Affinity Designer are not actually real vector, is this true?

• Staff

Hi Johnny Chin,
Currently Affinity Designer doesn't support custom arrowheads. This is something the dev team plan/intend to implement later.

Regarding the second question, no. Vector objects in Designer are indeed vector objects - you can export them as such to other vector formats. Certain features however - like Fx Effects for example will force them to be rasterised on export (that is, exports them with the effects as raster images) but that happens with other software as well. Vector brushes that rely on raster based textures are also naturally exported as raster images. As i said above we do plan to improve the brush engine in Designer to work with vector objects as well so you can create brushes based on (custom) vector objects.

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Johnny Chin,
Currently Affinity Designer doesn't support custom arrowheads. This is something the dev team plan/intend to implement later.

Regarding the second question, no. Vector objects in Designer are indeed vector objects - you can export them as such to other vector formats. Certain features however - like Fx Effects for example will force them to be rasterised on export (that is, exports them with the effects as raster images) but that happens with other software as well. Vector brushes that rely on raster based textures are also naturally exported as raster images. As i said above we do plan to improve the brush engine in Designer to work with vector objects as well so you can create brushes based on (custom) vector objects.

Okay thanks, but is there an arrowhead file/folder exist in AD? I see you can add custom arrowhead to it in illustrator and it will appear in the arrowhead option in the stroke panel in illustrator

also, I noticed this thread is from 2017, so this feature been requested for like 2 years plus, so is it coming soon or going to wait again for long too?

26 minutes ago, MEB said:

No, there's no similar functionality/folder in Designer at this point. The current arrowheads are hard coded in the program as far as i know.

Oh that’s bad, hmm I didn’t expect so many missing small but necessary things, only if the ads really live up to the hype, it really hit a lot marks for me until I have to do serious complicated things

if i add the vector-made-arrowhead manually to a vector line, is there a way to make the arrowhead snap to the vector line no matter the line is in any angle?

9 minutes ago, Johnny Chin said:

if i add the vector-made-arrowhead manually to a vector line, is there a way to make the arrowhead snap to the vector line no matter the line is in any angle?

If you create a vector arrowhead, you can attach it to a vector line, and then Group them together. At that point they will stay together no matter what angle you rotate the line to. You can also save that group as an Asset for use later.

-- Walt
PC:

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you create a vector arrowhead, you can attach it to a vector line, and then Group them together. At that point they will stay together no matter what angle you rotate the line to. You can also save that group as an Asset for use later.

Yes this seem like the last chance for me if I want to use only AD which I hope to, but then how do I attact? I tried to draw a line and add that arrowhead to the end and then I want to curve that line and the arrowhead doesn’t follow:

image.thumb.jpg.068ce54fe31cd89098dc91ef863e303b.jpg

Also, how do I create dash, small dash, small dash line like the bottom one?

• Staff

Hi Johnny Chin,
The arrowhead will never follow the line automatically - that functionality must be hard coded in the program - that's why i told you there's currently no way to do want you want directly. That's the type ofuncionality that custom arrowheads will allow if/when implemented.

Regarding the dash line, that particular dash type can't be created with the existing dash line implementation/controls. I would create a new thread in the Feature Requests section asking for expanding the dash lines controls/functionality so it becomes a little more flexible.

22 hours ago, Johnny Chin said:

I tried to draw a line and add that arrowhead to the end and then I want to curve that line and the arrowhead doesn’t follow:

If you curve the line you will probably have to adjust the arrowhead manually, Johnny, by using the Node tool to move the right-most (in your picture) and top nodes so they match the curve you've created.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

You can use both the Node or Point Transform Tools with Transform Origin enabled to rotate the arrowhead around the node that connects the arrowhead to the line. A little bit cumbersome if you have to do it quite a few times, but the only way to get there currently.