You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide making everything transparent

I'm trying to put a rounded rectangle over an image background, then use the divide, or any geometry tool, to take that area out so that I can have a transparent rounded rectangle in the middle of my image. It won't work for some reason though, and I'm not sure why. It just makes the whole image transparent, or with other tools will leave only the rectangle in place. What have I done wrong?

• Staff

Hi dld234,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can only perform boolean (geometry) operations between vector objects (shapes), not between an image and shape. An easy way to get the result you are looking for is to change the Blend Mode of the rounded rectangle from Normal to Erase (the dropdown on the top of the Layers panel). Note that doing so you will make the rounded rectangle affect everything below it (not just the background image/layer but any other layers you may have below opening a "hole" on all of them). To make it affect just a specific layer/image, group the rectangle with that image.