You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image trace equivalent (Illustrator)

Hi there,

I am looking to create editable vectors from artwork (primarily shapes and lettering) created in Procreate on the iPad.

In Adobe Illustrator there is an 'image trace' function that does this.

Is there a similar function in Affinty design or Affinity Photo?

• 1 month later...

I'm one of all those also waiting for this feature to be added!

Please make it better than Illustrator. If you can get the same performance quality as VectorMagic that would be great!
Check this comparisons between VectorMagic, Adobe and Corel:
https://vectormagic.com/comparisons

Maybe you can just license their algorithm? Or allow plugins?

• 1 year later...

"Buy" inkscape, better... (even just for swapping for that task, only, and export to Affinity.)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:14 PM, confetti said:

see below, fogot to check  notify me

tip.gif You can use the ‘Follow’ button at the top of the page to set your preferences for notification of changes to the current thread (regardless of whether or not you’ve posted to the thread).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 6 months later...

I am a calligrapher and recently purchased Affinity Designer to digitize my hand lettering for reproduction. I understand that Illustrator offers a trace tool that is pivotal in accomplishing the 'clean up' necessary to accomplish this process but many calligraphers are turning to AD, for various reasons. In reading on the forum, it seems that this function has not been available. Any chance that it has been added? Please advise how I can accomplish 'tracing' with AD.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nancy   

• Staff

@Calligraphy Nancy

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

This function is still not available in Affinity Designer. People are currently drawing over scans of their sketches and inked work

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, Calligraphy Nancy said:

Thank you for you quick reply.  I'm pretty bummed as this is why I purchased the program.  I'll watch tutorials about the 'drawing' over scanned inked work. Glad to know that there is a process.  At least I can stop searching for that 'trace' option.  ugh!!

Check out this. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/imaengine-vector/id599309610?mt=8

If it works update to paid version. It’s cheap and reviews are good.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

13 hours ago, DM1 said:

Check out this. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/imaengine-vector/id599309610?mt=8

If it works update to paid version. It’s cheap and reviews are good.

I have a copy of Imaengine here. Although it’s quite good fun to play with, it suffers from a problem that seems to be common to many (most? all?) low-cost apps which offer a vectorizing feature: a low ‘Detail’ value yields low accuracy, and a high ‘Detail’ value yields approximately a gazillion separate curves in a simple sketch comprising a small number of areas filled with solid colours.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

I have a copy of Imaengine here. Although it’s quite good fun to play with, it suffers from a problem that seems to be common to many (most? all?) low-cost apps which offer a vectorizing feature: a low ‘Detail’ value yields low accuracy, and a high ‘Detail’ value yields approximately a gazillion separate curves in a simple sketch comprising a small number of areas filled with solid colours.

I agree with pictures you can get lots of spurious vectors. It seems to give a reasonable output though for tracing calligraphy using one of the standard templates. Black text so little colour variation to create spurious vectors. Vectors outlines of text image look pretty good, even as a starting point for tidying up in AD.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

It always also highly depends on the sort and quality of the bitmap input image and the settings of the respective tracing algorithms here. A cleaner well sized and none fuzzy shaded input image will yield to better results than a bad one. Another point is color versus graylevel or 2 colored B&W tracing.

Also many tracing/vectorization tools which support somehow color output, don't support that color wise initially really natively via their tracing algorithm. Instead a given color bitmap is often first color quantized (thus splitted into N seperate color portions), which are then also seperately traced into vectors (multiple tracing stages) and accordingly recolored due to the color quantization. Later the quantized vector layers are all again combined or joined together into the resulting vector drawing. This procedure often leads to many curves.

BTW AD itself sometimes also isn't very good when generating and exporting certain vector formats and then also produces by far too much nodes for simple shapes or objects. - So it always depends and is relative to certain factors.

Related to iPad apps there aren't so much tracing apps available for that and from those I've seen so far Imaengine is one of the better ones.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

I agree with pictures you can get lots of spurious vectors. It seems to give a reasonable output though for tracing calligraphy using one of the standard templates.

Thanks. I somehow managed to overlook the fact that @Calligraphy Nancy is a calligrapher! :$

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon