You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Personal Logo

ASBaumgarten

Can someone tell me how to make a perfect equilateral triangle? 

Euclid, Book I, Prop. 1  ;)

But if you don’t want to rely on Greek authorities, you might try it a another way: Create a horizontal straight path with the pen tool, duplicate it and rotate the duplicate by 60 degrees, join the two paths using the Node Tool while preserving the path length, use "Join Curves" to complete the triangle. This will get you a perfect equilateral triangle. If there’s a better method, please tell ...  :)

I've found a possibly more accurate way as it uses a shape generated by the app and so isn't reliant on the precision of a hand-written aspect ratio:

• Select the polygon shape from the shapes toolbar
  • Draw one of any size while holding SHIFT (so that it constrains proportions)
  • With the new polygon selected, reduce the "Sides" property up at the top of the app window (by the fill and stroke) to
  • Say, "Hello" to your equilateral triangle  :)
  • You can then convert it to a curve and then resize it to the desired side length by editing the "W" value in the "Transform" tab (bottom right of the app window). I suggest you click the little link icon so that the "W" and "H" values will be linked

post-2981-0-46768000-1422609230_thumb.jpg

I've made two variations of the same logo using only my first and last initial. I'm looking for some feedback on which catches the eye better.

By the way, I like the 2nd one better as the 'A' is easier to make out. The larger triangles on don't look as "busy" as the 1st one and give nice contrast with the smaller triangles on the right so its easier to "read".

• Staff

I've found a possibly more accurate way as it uses a shape generated by the app and so isn't reliant on the precision of a hand-written aspect ratio:

• Select the polygon shape from the shapes toolbar
  • Draw one of any size while holding SHIFT (so that it constrains proportions)
  • With the new polygon selected, reduce the "Sides" property up at the top of the app window (by the fill and stroke) to
  • Say, "Hello" to your equilateral triangle  :)
  • You can then convert it to a curve and then resize it to the desired side length by editing the "W" value in the "Transform" tab (bottom right of the app window). I suggest you click the little link icon so that the "W" and "H" values will be linked

That is the correct way to do it.  ;)

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

That is the correct way to do it.   ;)

So @Ben, I guess if I use the triangle tool and hold Shift, AD makes a triangle whose base = it's height? Hmm... I understand the Cartesian logic, but I'm still wondering whether holding shift in the Triangle tool ought to constrain it to an equilateral triangle... But I understand the logic of having it sequestered in the Polygon tool... I'm torn on this one...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17