You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP....totally at the end of my rope with this program

I am trying to do a traditional tattoo rose in affinity.....and it is super simple

I have Large yellow shape....then I want to  add 2 pen lines to make a new shape on the side of it....and fill it with red....but the darn thing will not close path.....HOW DO I ADD THE LINES AND CREATE ANOTHER OBJECT THAT I CAN FILL RED 

post-64633-0-61945400-1499727467_thumb.jpg

It may not be what you were wanting, but I think the best thing to do there is to close that new red shape and set it behind the yellow one.

Otherwise, you can have the stroke and fill be separate from each other. Set the fill to that new shape as zero, and have a red fill behind it.

The joining feature you are looking for such as Illustrator's live paint is a grouping feature in which the layers (curves) are nested. If you don't want to have dozen of curves shown in your Layer's tab, then you can nest them under its own layer if you click the New Layer button and then drag them inside. This will not group them, but it will organize them as nested children under one layer.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

jhazel0705,

Don't give up, if you keep at it you'll get the hang of it. A few things to point out, I'm pretty sure that you don't have 45 layers, you probably have 45 objects and no layers. When you first start a drawing, create a new layer and then select it and all of the objects that you create will be in that layer, it will help you to better manage your objects. Secondly, if you would post the file that you are working on, someone might be able to better help you or give you advice but your screenshot doesn't quite give me enough information to give you more advice. 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

BRIANSTUDIO,

What is your comment in reference to? It certainly isn't helpful in this situation. The developers and most of the users here are incredibly nice and helpful and many people give advice and offer help to people free of charge. Serif doesn't only offer help to people who buy a manual, they offer help to everyone. It is ridiculous to think otherwise.

Hokusai

I went back and looked at your two previous posts and both of them were answered so why the attitude?

jhazel0705, 

Honestly, I think you are making it too difficult then it needs to be. As bleduc mentioned it probably is the easiest and fastest method to just make the shapes/petals and arrange them in front or back of each other and you could even use the target behavior to add shapes inside one another. The live paint and refined path abilities of Illustrator are just not in Designer at the moment.

Here's some help. Back around 2000, well before the CS live paint was introduced, I was doing something similar. Easiest and cheapest thing to do, draw what you want as a B&W tiff. Make it tidy. Use an autotrace tool to convert it to vectors. Lots of cheap or free ones for that today. Then, back them, into AI, or CD. And lots and lots of tweaking.  At this point, AD does a better job w. the tweaking, and 45 whole shapes really isn't all that much. 

I didn't often have access to a scanner, so drawing on paper was not an option most times.

BTW, my elder daughter and her husband do tattoos for a living. They would love to have AD, because any part of the CS subscription is more than they can expect to pay during slow times.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 7/11/2017 at 3:06 AM, Scungio said:

you could even use the target behavior to add shapes inside one another. The live paint and refined path abilities of Illustrator are just not in Designer at the moment.

Oh yes! I use that feature often, and I didn't even think to bring it up here.

jhazel0705,

With the very last button on the top of the workspace selected, you can paste copied objects "inside" each other. This can be good to avoid intersections and aligning too many objects behind each other, because aligning too many in the back, the order may get confusing when they need to overlap others.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Huh....ok...I will give it a shot.....thank you sooo much to the commuity members helping me with this journey....I am not finding it hard to get help here.....especially for someone not familiar with digital art. .I am at least confident that a live paint type tool is not available yet....this helps . N

Next challenge. I have each shape drawn...but then when I snapthem sometimes the line width doubles as they snap....( i.e. see the attached file....I have figured out the coloring idea), but see how the line art looks awful because each shape has a 2.9 px width ....and some times this make the width COMICALLY large.....any suggestions as a wrap this project up. Thank you for your help....I am making steady progress 

Rose practice 3.afdesign

13 hours ago, jhazel0705 said:

I am at least confident that a live paint type tool is not available yet....this helps . N

Oh what I would give for that tool.

Next challenge. I have each shape drawn...but then when I snapthem sometimes the line width doubles as they snap

You're not doing anything wrong. I've been noticing that too with the beta. It looks like a bug, but I'm sure it will be addressed. Seeing how all the vector art is nested in one layer, click on the layer, and then changed the stroke size in either the Stroke tab or context toolbar. That will change the stroke size of all object under that layer at the same time.

For the overly thick strokes, you need to select those layers. Some of the strokes in your file seem to be 8 pt! Open the group in the layers panel. Command/Windows key will allow selections of layers that are not directly above /below in the layer hierarchy. Switch to the node tool. In the stroke dialogue, set whatever thickness seems right. They will all change together.

Edited by gdenby

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 11/07/2017 at 3:51 AM, BRIANSTUDIO said:

Newbie. I doubt very seriously you, like myself, will get any help with this program UNLESS you pay the developer for the manual.

Not true. There's about 200 free and excellent short videos that step you through everything from basics to advanced stuff. There's also an excellent offline help system. Just going through this stuff quickly taught me far more than fiddling around for years in photoshop. Affinity are one of the best at helping newbies.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 11/07/2017 at 4:51 AM, BRIANSTUDIO said:

Newbie. I doubt very seriously you, like myself, will get any help with this program UNLESS you pay the developer for the manual.

You can not say this, as @dmstaker said, there are many resources online and more on this forum there are many highly qualified people who do not count their time to help others. The answers do not always come quickly because there are many requests, but in general they end up arriving and that for free.

52 minutes ago, toltec said:

What manual?  :S

Created just a month ago was a new online manual for both Designer and Photo.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/42517-beta-affinity-online-help/

By a "manual" I was thinking of a book with an index, pages, chapters and a logical sequence.

A help system usually relies on you searching for something. That's no good if you don't know the name of what you want to search for.

I think I'm just old fashioned. Trouble is, I'm just old :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

28 minutes ago, toltec said:

I think I'm just old fashioned. Trouble is, I'm just old :(

Some people say you're as old as you feel. The trouble is, by that reckoning I'm ancient! helpsmilie.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

Some people say you're as old as you feel. The trouble is, by that reckoning I'm ancient! helpsmilie.gif

Could be worse, by that reckoning I died years ago :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

Could be worse, by that reckoning I died years ago :(

But the spirit lives on, right?

• 3 months later...

OK well quick follow up on this one...I did end up just creating 45 shapes and arranging them and covering the overlap with the stroke layer....sooooo that is what I did. However I did learn a lot since then and am actually teaching on Udemy now with Affinity......so thank you so much for aall your help early on