You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks for your reply...I did not see the inch selection and when I click on the Hand as instructed it appeared just like magic.

Sometimes I have difficulty in following the instructions.

I really was trying to set DEFAULT PIXELS IN DOCUMENT RESIZING CANVAS RESIZING TO DEFAULT ALL THE TIME TO INCHES INSTEAD OF PIXELS???

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, DonS said:

Thanks for your reply...I did not see the inch selection and when I click on the Hand as instructed it appeared just like magic.

Sometimes I have difficulty in following the instructions.

I really was trying to set DEFAULT PIXELS IN DOCUMENT RESIZING CANVAS RESIZING TO DEFAULT ALL THE TIME TO INCHES INSTEAD OF PIXELS???

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY.

No need to shout. SImples what you seem to want. Start Affinity and when prompted for NEW document you then set the settings (inches, papersize (letter/A4 ..), orientation (portrait/landscape) .. etc) When you next start Affinity and open NEW document, you will have same settings as you set on previous document.

4 minutes ago, DonS said:

Thank you for the reply and apparently their is not a setting you can change but simply when you start out a new document.

Inches are such a flaky measurement when it comes to screen images, I don't see how you could ever use inches as the default

Take a 1920 x 1080 display.

A 2" image on a 50" TV contains about 88 pixels

A 2" image on a 24" monitor contains about 180 pixels

A 2" image on a 5" phone contains about 880 pixels, and of course some phones are much higher resolution.

If you use inches, you would always have to tell Affinity (or PS) how many pixels in an inch. Or should a one inch crop contain 44, 90, 440 or 880 pixels? So many variables! That applies the other way too, if you get a 880 pixel image, do you intend it for a 50 TV (2 inches) or a smart phone (1/5 of an inch) when you crop in inches. It would go badly wrong if you didn't get the settings right.

At least with pixels, one quantity is constant. The inches size is always going to vary because of different displays and/or printers. And then there are millimetres. Affinity uses pixels but whenever you select inches, it translates them into inches on the fly for you.

You can us inches with documents you create, because you have already told Affinity how many pixels per inch you want in the dialogue box.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I see with your demonstration above that it is best to use pixels.  However I am not familiar to figure out the size of pixels equal to how many inches.  In the future I could look in Document Resize and swithch back and forth to see the comparison.  

Yes, that is best. Affinity will convert for you but you must always bear in mind how many pixels are needed. I have seen so many problems over the years because of getting the resolution wrong.

If your image is destined for the screen, you need to know how many pixels will be required to make a good display on one inch of screen, depending on the device!

If Litho printing, each inch of image (on the paper) needs to have 300 pixels in it.

If Silkscreen printing, each inch (on the T Shirt?) needs to have 110 pixels in it.

You have to start at the end and work back. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 month later...

Hi DonS and toltec - I'll chime in to say that graphic designers in the USA who design for print such as myself use inch units all the time because (as toltec mentions above) for print photos need to be @ specific ppi / dpi (300) in order to ensure reproduction quality on press.

example:

3000 x 3000 ppi image @ 72 ppi per inch would be about 41.5 inches.  At 72 ppi output would be lousy on press.

When you resize the image (without resampling) yields a 10 x 10 @ 300 ppi which gives good quality on press.

So - when I get images from clients first thing I do is resize them to 300 ppi/dpi to see how big the image is a print res in inches. If I have to resample the image to get the size I need I will do that, but quality suffers.

Cheers,

Reddot

• 1 year later...

In both the photographic industry and the printing industry, "Inches" is the most common way to express measurements.

Since there are about 14 million Photoshop users and 80 percent of them are photographers, it might make some business sense to have inches set as the default for everything of you wish.

Yo can do this in Photoshop.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I too am hoping that in a future update, that you can make inches a 'default' measurement should one to desire. At least with every single communication, I have had within my experience in digital images since 1990, all expressed sizing for images in a Inches by dpi method. I want it to be a selectable default because then there is one less click to do. Other than this one 'flaw' I really like Affinity. 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

so I'm very new to any of this and pix measurements' go straight over my head, how ever i do understand pix is the best way to measure for a photo project and i guess my question Is there any way of converting pix measurement's in to inches?

Welcome to the forums @kathy640,

You can change to numerous different measurement units.

• Make sure Rulers are visible. If not go to View>Show Rulers
  • The far left edge of the horizontal ruler, or top edge of the vertical ruler, in other words in the corner, the intersection of both, right-click and a menu will pop up.
  • Select inches if it's already showing Pixels.

ruler_units.jpg

Affinity Photo On-line Help-Rulers

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD