You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I made some simple diagrams with text and lines. When I export a png or jpg the quality is bad (blurry). When I screenshot it with OS X, the quality is much better (and the file size is larger). How can I export from Affinity Designer and get a good quality png like a Mac screenshot? I don't want to export via screenshots for several reasons including that it's very hard to line it up to be pixel perfect. I found exporting to pdf does have great quality (very sharp text and lines) but sometimes I need an image file.

I attached an example png export which is poor quality. It has blurring and jagged parts. Everything is completely sharp in Affinity Designer or with a PDF or screenshot. I'm looking at this on a 27" retina iMac.

post-64995-0-52854800-1499715877_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi curi,

Welcome to the forums.

When exported to a format such as PNG or JPEG it will be rasterized. What size is your document and after exporting to PNG are you viewing them at 100% or larger.

the document is 1280x800 which was a default setting. i don't know what i should use. i'm making diagrams to illustrate blog posts and screencasts.

i viewed at 100% size in Preview after exporting and saw the blurring and jaggedness. i also saw the issue when adding the image to Keynote.

i figured out that i can export at double the pixel size (2560x1600) and then the png seems to come out OK. (i figured out the OS X screenshots, which worked, were doubling the amount of pixels in the png created due to retina). should i be working at a higher resolution in the first place and making everything bigger in order to have sharp text and smooth diagonal lines? or should i export to a different image format? or is increasing the amount of pixels at export time a good approach?

i'm pretty new at this. thanks for any help.

If you are designing for blog posts or anything on a screen, your image will always end up at the resolution they are. So even if you export at 2560 x 1600, the image will end up at whatever the blog page is. eg 640 x 400 so won't look sharp.

You are therefore wasting your time supplying at a higher resolution, it will be downsized. Basically, with Pixel data, you need to set the resolution for the destination.

PDFs will look better if they are viewed as PDFs or printed because they are resolution independent. But again, if they are converted to images to be inserted (as images) into the blog, they might also end up as 640 x 400.

You are always better to use text as text (i.e. PDFs) because that will look sharp no matter what size it ends up. Ideally, your diagram will be inserted as an image with a link to a PDF file to be downloaded for the viewer to see sharp results.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 3 years later...

Hi , Does anyone know why the export results are still blurry, even though I have chosen the 300 dpi setting But still, the results are very bad. A size of 1440 x 720 px with a 300 dpi setting. Can anyone provide a solution to fix it? Thank you

277885996_Artboard120_39_07.png.71ecdb8d66ac5154029c14d837a305b8.png

Edited by Iqbal Firdaus
Add sample picture