You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tonal Squeeze

I don't like using Vignettes, but I do like doing what Athena Carey calls a "tonal squeeze." In this technique, one darkens the top and the bottom edges (areas) of the photo, but one leaves the sides unmodified. By this technique, the eye is not confined by the sides of the photo, but the darkening of the top and bottom of the photo holds the eye back from leaving at the top or the bottom. 

My problem is that I can't figure out how to do this in Affinity Photo. My experiments have so far failed me.

Can anyone help?

In the layers studio, create a new fill layer.

Select linear fill. Now set up the fill control line (maybe called the gradient tool): Drag the fill control line ends till the line is vertical. Tap the middle to add a new colour and set it to white. Tap the top and set it to black; drag the top to the top of your workspace. Tap the bottom and set the colour to black; drag the bottom tone bottom of your workspace. Drag the little lines at the 1/4 and 3/4 way along the line to distribute the black as you want.

in the layers studio, change the blend mode to give the effect you want: darken or multiply maybe.

Stan