You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Design - 'paste in front' and 'paste in back'

Hi guys,

My first post - I'm really impressed with the application but for me there is a big hole which affects my workflow.

So if it's possible, in the 'Edit' drop down menu, please can you implement a 'paste in front' and 'paste in back' functionality in the edit menu. When building designs up in vector graphic apps I would say, apart from 'copy' they are two of the most used commands - particularly when creating designs around text eg website banners, merchandising, brand design etc. Many thanks

post-64969-0-22097800-1499700322_thumb.png

To change targeting behaviour:post-35341-0-69152900-1499705725.png

• From the Toolbar, choose one of the following:
    • Insert behind the selection
    • Insert at the top of the layer
    • Insert inside the selection

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

One of the things I always hated about Adobe and their paste operations is how damn confusing it all got. You paste something and it is offset? Then they insert all kind of paste in front, paste in back, paste in place, in the menu, what a mess. That to me is an example of Adobe's bloat.

I like Serif's approach. When I copy and paste it pastes in front by default and if I have to move it behind I just use the Command + [ shortcut key and/or use the targeting options as dutchshader mentioned. Once you use it enough times it becomes second nature and will speed up your workflow.

To change targeting behaviour:attachicon.gifpaste.png

• From the Toolbar, choose one of the following:
    • Insert behind the selection
    • Insert at the top of the layer
    • Insert inside the selection

Thanks Dutchshader. I worked that out but it's a very long winded way of working compared to the simple command in the edit menu - which is a single click - and I'm not having to navigate through elements in the layers palette. Sometimes I can have 25-30 objects in a layer and 15 layers and it becomes a nightmare.

One of the things I always hated about Adobe and their paste operations is how damn confusing it all got. You paste something and it is offset? Then they insert all kind of paste in front, paste in back, paste in place, in the menu, what a mess. That to me is an example of Adobe's bloat.

I like Serif's approach. When I copy and paste it pastes in front by default and if I have to move it behind I just use the Command + [ shortcut key and/or use the targeting options as dutchshader mentioned. Once you use it enough times it becomes second nature and will speed up your workflow.

To each their own. I've been a graphic designer for 30 years and using macs with a variety of graphics apps for nearly 25 and I find the simple command in the edit menu to either paste in front or paste in back, the quickest and easiest way to achieve the result - it's one click - I don't then have to command plus or identify objects in layers palettes in order to then move them - which interrupts the work flow. :) 

you can set shortcuts for insert front and back, i have set alt+f and alt+b, still have to press ctrl v, but this way it is works little faster

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

I understand what you are saying, to each their own. I just try and use keyboard shortcuts because I find them faster then going up to the menu and clicking. Like I love to use Compound shapes and have 'live' boolean operations. But sometimes I want to release the compound so I set up a keyboard shortcut of Control + C. Much faster for me to invoke that shortcut then go up to the menu, click on Layer and then click on Release Compound. That is two clicks and it is much slower than me using my keyboard shortcut. 

you can set shortcuts for insert front and back, i have set alt+f and alt+b, still have to press ctrl v, but this way it is works little faster

Thanks for the suggestion - once again - it's slowing the flow - putting down the mouse to perform a keystroke ...which may sound trivial but when performing the action as often as I do and as fast as I do, this really slows everything down.

I'd submitted this request in the hope that the developers would look at it - it's a massive issue for me and I imagine many who have grown up on adobe (and corel etc which all have the same functions).

I understand what you are saying, to each their own. I just try and use keyboard shortcuts because I find them faster then going up to the menu and clicking. Like I love to use Compound shapes and have 'live' boolean operations. But sometimes I want to release the compound so I set up a keyboard shortcut of Control + C. Much faster for me to invoke that shortcut then go up to the menu, click on Layer and then click on Release Compound. That is two clicks and it is much slower than me using my keyboard shortcut. 

We all work differently - I charge by the hour so speed of production is very important to me - consequently I am very mouse biased - and in order to perform a keystroke, I am putting down the mouse, locating the keys and pressing them, then picking up the mouse again - which for me is a crazy long winded way to do something I can do in a nano second with a single mouse click.

I don't mean this to be offensive but what do you use your other hand for? I have used many programs over the last 30 years too and I have my right hand on my mouse or Wacom Stylus and the left hand close to the keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts are crucial in speeding up my workflow whether I am using Affinity Designer, Apple Motion, Harmony, Clip Studio, etc.

You don't know what you are missing! :D

I don't mean this to be offensive but what do you use your other hand for? I have used many programs over the last 30 years too and I have my right hand on my mouse or Wacom Stylus and the left hand close to the keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts are crucial in speeding up my workflow whether I am using Affinity Designer, Apple Motion, Harmony, Clip Studio, etc.

You don't know what you are missing! :D

Haha - We all have our ways of working. I know I'm not alone. Far from it. Im just asking the dev guys about a basic function which is probably, other than 'copy', the two of the most used mouse commands. I respect the way you work but what I'm asking about is such a fundamental basic of design production for probably millions of users of graphic applications - professional or otherwise. It wouldnt have been included & survived in Adobe's and many many others apps if were not.

• 5 years later...
On 7/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, Scungio said:

So I find this interesting. I used adobe for years and whenever I copied and pasted an object it was by default directly in front (and in line) with copied object. Affinity will ALWAYS offset it which is infuriating and depending on the elements not always easy to reposition. i wonder if you got the programs the wrong way round. I really need a paste in front or just paste in a sensible place button.

• 1 month later...

Well, to be fair, I posted that almost 6 years ago and I had abandoned Adobe at that point. In terms of copy and pasting an object and there being an offset in Designer? I have never seen that in my experience. Also, I rarely use copy and paste in that manner anymore, I use duplicate instead. I have a TourBox and a Stream Deck XL that I use with Designer, Duplicate is mapped to a single button with both devices. Instead of me reaching for the keyboard, contorting my fingers to reach the keys for Copy and then for Paste, I simply press one button for Duplicate.

There are many ways to tackle an issue and come away with the same result.