You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying a Bitmap Fill from shape A to shape B distorts/shears the bitmap

Hey everyone, I'm quite new to Affinity Designer and have come across the following issue:

​I'm trying to fill different shapes with patterns. Since I haven't been able to find any preset geometric fill patterns that ship with Affinity, nor a pattern fill feature, I've resorted to:

1. Select the shape
2. Activate the Fill Tool
3. Change Fill Type to Bitmap
​4. Use an image texture to fill the shape

However, when I ​CTRL + C​ on one shape and then CTRL + SHIFT + V​ on another shape in order to copy that fill, with the same orientation and scale, it seems like the bitmap/texture then gets transformed to the orientation/size of the target shape.

I attached a screenshot to demonstrate what happens when I copy the fill from the left shape to the right.

​How can I get the behaviour that I want, i.e. have the fill get transferred from shape A to shape B without changing the orientation/scale/shear of the fill texture?

​Also, is there a vector pattern fill in Affinity Designer that I may simply have overlooked?

​Thanks a lot

post-43073-0-49496600-1499694944_thumb.jpg

Do you know by what logic/rules the texture gets distorted/sheared when using CTRL + SHIFT + V?

I don't quite understand what Designer is doing here.

I think you answered that in your OP!

it seems like the bitmap/texture then gets transformed to the orientation/size of the target shape

The solution is to cover the resized/rotated/sheared shape with a rectangle, select both shapes and press the 'Intersect' button in the Geometry section of the main toolbar.

Affinity Designer doesn't have vector pattern fills yet, sadly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The solution is to cover the resized/rotated/sheared shape with a rectangle, select both shapes and press the 'Intersect' button in the Geometry section of the main toolbar.

Hi Alfred,

Very good solution if the target objects are smaller than the source object. If these target objects (or the rectangle created to make the mask) are larger  than the source object, the filling will change scale relative to the filling of the object.

Hi Alfred,

Very good solution if the target objects are smaller than the source object. If these target objects (or the rectangle created to make the mask) are larger  than the source object, the filling will change scale relative to the filling of the object.

You're correct about the scaling, Régis, but at least the rotation and/or skewing will be removed. It's relatively easy to change the scale to whatever you want.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You're right Alfred, I had tried after reading your first post and it took me a lot of patience to adjust the size, AD is not very flexible in moving the adjustment handles, The movement is jerky. With a strong zoom factor I helped the FastStone Capture rule to get the same measurements on both forms.

Your method is still very useful while awaiting an improvement of Serif, thank you to share it :)