You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any advice on the best settings for performance in preferences on Photo - memory usage etc? I've had a quick search but can't find anything on here. I have 64bit Windows system with 16gb ram, Intel i5-2500K 3.30ghz, with Nvidia GTX GeForce 1050 ti. Current settings are attached. My problem has been generally sluggish performance, waiting for effects to play catch-up with Retina Rendering at Highest Quality and a far too pixelated image when it's set to low quality.

post-64953-0-85039300-1499690225_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Paul,

Please could you try changing the Renderer to WARP to see if that improves the apps performance. If this doesn't solve your issues could you try downloading the Customer Beta Build found here to see if that improves performance.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Callum,

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried that and, if anything it's made things worse. It seems to divide the image in 9 distinct squares and you can see each changing when you change any settings - white balance, exposure etc., in develop mode on a Canon Raw file. You might just be able to pick out those squares as I changed the white balance in the attached screenshot. The other worrying thing was how laggy the brush behaviour was - look at the state of the lines I drew to try and show those nine segments! After all the initial promise Affinity photo is turning into a bit of a nightmare on PC.

affinity warp setting.jpg

• 3 months later...

Similar question here: I've just updated my system to High Sierra (Macbook specs attached). 

It would be helpful if someone at Affinity could comment on the best choice of Preferences>Performance options I should choose. Specifically:

Display: (I've selected Metal following the upgrade)

Use only integrated GPU: unchecked

Retina Rendering: Automatic (best)

Hardware Acceleration: unchecked 

I tried checking the Hardware Acceleration box but it then makes reference to the inbuilt Intel HD card, so I'm not sure whether or not to check the box.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 19.33.36.png

@MEB Sorry to single you out MEB but I'm not exactly sure how forums work and how to get the attention of the best people to help. I've noticed you've given lots of helpful advice, hence contacting you directly. Are you able to help with my preferences question above? 

Many thanks in advance.

James.

On 11/13/2017 at 0:44 PM, LordyW said:

It would be helpful if someone at Affinity could comment on the best choice of Preferences>Performance options I should choose.

This has been discussed in quite a few existing topics. In general, the performance preferences that are set by default are the best ones to use -- the apps check the hardware when they are installed & set them accordingly. There is not one set of defaults that are used for every installation.

For laptops with both integrated graphics & dedicated GPUs, the dedicated GPU offers higher performance at the cost of shorter battery run time. So that is a choice you will need to make for yourself, depending on which is more important to you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @LordyW,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Please check the reply MattP (Project lead on Affinity Designer), gave here regarding Performance prefs.

Affinity Photo/Designer 1.6 also introduced Metal rendering/acceleration. If your card supports it and you aren't experiencing any issues just leave it checked.