You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection mask - how to view?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but how can I view a selection mask? I realise a mask is shown if I go into refine selection but what I'm looking for is a view of the selection as I use the likes of the feather tool.

Hi Miguel,

Either would work.

Just when you select feather, the crawling ants line rounds at the corners but you have no way of seeing how far the feature is impacting the selection unless you can see the selection mask unless I am missing something which I am sure I am.

• Staff

Thanks for the clarification. As fas as i know there's no way to do it. You can see/edit a pixel selection as a red overlay (or other view modes) switching to Selections Persona, tapping the More menu on top (the three dots) and selecting Selection As Layer ▸ Toggle "Edit Selection As Layer". You can also select other view modes form the same menu (Selection As Layer Show Mask As...), but unfortunately this doesn't work with the Feather Selection Tool (it does nothing in this mode). This is also not possible in the Desktop version - unless you use the Refine Selection feature with the Feather slider - but the sliders are not available on the iPad version, so this method can't be used there.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If the iPad version no, in the desktop version yes: go to menu View and uncheck Show Pixel Selection. You can also set a shortcut for this command going to Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboadr Shortcuts section, setting the first dropdown to Photo and the second to View - the items/shortcuts in the list appear in the same order as the menus on the app so it's easy to find it.

Just to add to this thread, I was doing work on an image at the weekend and trying to judge the feather on the selection so I could apply a blur to the background to isolate the foreground subject. This inability to get any sense of how the feather looks is a real problem imho. I need to set the feather then select a blur and set the amount then review the output then undo the blur and redo the feather and repeat until I am happy. Sure, it is possible to do it in this trial and error way but the simple ability to see the resultant feather in a mask would make life so much easier and save time.