You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Ability to playback & save history as video/gif

Hello, I've been poking around the internet some after seeing an ad about this app that caught my eye while browsing youtube videos. This application seems like the perfect blend of just about everything I need all in one, subscription-free package, and It definitely looks impressive. I've just got one niche little feature request that I'd like to see at some point in the future, if possible:

Can you add the ability to play-back and save the history as a video/gif file?

I love being able to visually see progress - especially when I can see each step along the way to further enhance/review my understanding of what I can do and how I can do it. Even though I'm looking to download it as just an app for now until I get into super professional stuff (if ever), I still think some desktop users would appreciate such a feature. The only way to do something of the sort is use a sort of screen-recording software, which can quickly eat away at available storage space with all the down-time that may exist without editing it manually.In my head, it sounds simple, for the history slider is already there... but the programmer side of me says anything can be difficult when you least expect it.  :P

Thank you for your consideration! I'll get to buying and using the app soon!  :D

The only way to do something of the sort is use a sort of screen-recording software, which can quickly eat away at available storage space with all the down-time that may exist without editing it manually.

If you're only recording the history steps, not the long pauses while you decide what to do next, there shouldn't be a significant amount of "down-time". To achieve this, go to the History panel, slide the slider control all the way to the left, put your screen-recording software into 'Record' mode and then slide the History slider to the right as quickly or as slowly as you like.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yeah, if you are on a Mac you can use Quicktime and choose New Screen Recording, draw a marquee selection over your photo/image and the history panel and then press Start Recording, when you are done cycling through the History panel go up to the top menu bar and press the stop button. Then a window opens up with your recording and you can choose a size and export it out. Even if you did a long 20 second back and forth it would probably only be about 5 MB in file size.