You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Gino

Once you have the high pass filter on the image go to the layers studio and change the blend modes to see the different effects, blend modes can be found on the layers, just below the opacity slider.

• Staff

Hi gino,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to select one of the contrast Blend Modes (from Overlay to Hard Mix following the list order) to see the image "correctly" again. Usually Overlay will work fine but if you find it a little to hard Soft Light should give you a less harsh result or if it's still too soft try change to Hard Light for stronger sharpening. Adjust the layer Opacity if needed for even more control.

I advise you to change your forum's username to something else to prevent spammers from getting your e-mail.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, MEB said:

Hi gino,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to select one of the contrast Blend Modes (from Overlay to Hard Mix following the list order) to see the image "correctly" again. Usually Overlay will work fine but if you find it a little to hard Soft Light should give you a less harsh result or if it's still too soft try change to Hard Light for stronger sharpening. Adjust the layer Opacity if needed for even more control.

I advise you to change your forum's username to something else to prevent spammers from getting your e-mail.

Hi Meb,

I'm just wondering do you still need to create a duplicate layer to perform this because my usual process for the high pass in PS was creating a duplicate layer then perform the high pass sequence. Will there be a shortcut process here in Affinity Photo like what you did in frequency separation? 

• Staff

No, you don't need to create a duplicate layer if you use the Live High Pass filter (menu Layer ▸ New Life Filter Layer ▸ High Pass Filter) because the live filters are non-destructive - it doesn't change the pixel data of the image layer the filter is nested/applied to (you can easily see this if you uncheck the live High Pass filter layer in the Layers panel - the filter will be hidden and you will see the original image intact). This also allows you to double-click the live High Pass filter thumbnail in the Layers panel to edit/adjust its value.

There's however a destructive version of this filter in the Filters menu (menu Filters ▸ Sharpen ▸ High Pass...). This is the one that requires you to create a duplicate to apply the filter to.

• 2 years later...

Hi.....it can vary depending on the resolution and size of the file, I've never gone beyond, say, 1.5 or 1.6 on a full sized file; 6000x4000, whatever the size is from my D750.And even that seems a bit much in comparison to using the Smart Sharpen filter. I know that SS is a completely different method to sharpen with. I'm thinking it's just a preference thing. It looks like I prefer the results of SS over that of HP.