You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open photos using place photo

With this latest update I am having trouble opening photos within a project. Sometimes the place photo works and other times I cannot get it to open. I have used the photo in other places so I know the file is not corrupted. I have closed the app and tried again but it doesn't work maybe half the time. I have no idea what's going on.

I've tried everything-- trying to place from a new pixel layer, from an adjustment layer, from the background layer. You name it, I've tried it. Last night I had a little more success but there was a significant lag in opening the new photo layer. Then sometimes nothing happened and I kept trying. It's not the file I'm trying to open; they have worked before and then they won't.

Problems continue and actually multiply! :(

I still continue to face the problem of being unable to place a photo in my layer stack. Then this morning I couldn't open a photo to begin a new project so I deleted the app and reinstalled. Unfortunately I lost all the projects I had done. Is there any way to recover those? It really makes me sad. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling I was unable to open a photo to begin a new project. I have no idea what's going on but I'm really unhappy. I eventually opened a different photo but something isn't right here. Help, please!!!!!!!!!!!

• Staff

This has something to do with Apples Photo App not returning an image for us to use.

Try:

- Go into Settings

- On the left select 'Photos & Camera'

- On the right select 'Optimise iPad Storage'

- Try placing an image in Affinity Photo

- Go back into Settings

- On the left select 'Photos & Camera'

- On the right select 'Download and Keep Originals'

- Try placing an image in Affinity Photo

Hopefully this forces the Photo app to download the image you need.

I have discovered that in some instances the placed photo can be found over in an empty area of the workspace if I drag my finger along the screen. It doesn't happen every time but sometimes it's as though it's opening in the wrong place and invisible. Maybe this might help the developers.

• 1 year later...

I purchased Affinity Photo two weeks ago , and have the same problem, sometimes the photo I placed is invisible, sometimes it’s there but cannot see it , it disappears from layers . Is there a certain way your supposed to follow to achieve results, the photo I placed appeared when I was rubbing the screen ? It’s like a memory bug in my iPad Pro ?

Perhaps a tutorial for placing a photo in another layer would be advisable for myself  , please advise . 

iPad Pro 1st gen 128 storage 

• 3 years later...