You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To wait for Publisher of to save the day with Page Plus?

Hello everybody,

I have a practical question.

I badly need some decent layout program. I have few client's requests to meet. I can patch the situation with iStudio but it doesn't cover all that I need. Now the question is should I buy Page Plus X9 (since my MacBook runs Windows through Parallels) or should I continue to patch up for few more months before Affinity Publisher appear?

Thank you! :)

And you believe that marketing hype?

P&LD is a subset of Xara Designer Pro. I use XDP every day. I therfore know what both of them are capable of and what their limitations are.

XDP is no substitute for a word processor let alone a layout application.

Mike

Affinity Publisher is an unknown quantity - PagePlus is a competent piece of software that'll set you back (I think) £19 - if you've got clients waiting it's a no brainer!

Affinity Publisher isn't a completely unknown quantity. Serif staff have been quite open about the fact that the first version will be fairly basic and that it will be several years before its capabilities match those of PagePlus X9 or even X8.

PagePlus is available (for 19.99 GBP or 24.99 USD) from here: http://www.serif.com/pageplus

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Affinity Publisher is an unknown quantity - PagePlus is a competent piece of software that'll set you back (I think) £19 - if you've got clients waiting it's a no brainer!

I have to agree with IanSG on this. It's a competent piece of software for next to nothing.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

And you believe that marketing hype?

P&LD is a subset of Xara Designer Pro. I use XDP every day. I therfore know what both of them are capable of and what their limitations are.

XDP is no substitute for a word processor let alone a layout application.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. It really doesn't look good enough. I'm sorry Xara...

Affinity Publisher isn't a completely unknown quantity. Serif staff have been quite open about the fact that the first version will be fairly basic and that it will be several years before its capabilities match those of PagePlus X9 or even X8.

PagePlus is available (for 19.99 GBP or 24.99 USD) from here: http://www.serif.com/pageplus

Well, considering that right now I am doing ... what I am doing, with iStudio, I think I will opt even for not mature Publisher, as long as it has Spread view, decent font interpretation, and correct CMYK preview. :)

But thank you for the information, Alfred. It really seems that I have to go for Page Plus X9. 22€ shouldn't be a problem. :)

No, not brainer at all! Thank you!  :D 

And way better than InDesign prices vs. results. Just it will feel a bit dull if Publisher pops up after 4-6 months. On the other hand - decent lunch is 20€ so come on... :)

Thanks again.

On your MacBook would Apple's Pages not be useful? It has been free for a number of years.

I actually gave it quite a thought but...No spread view, no grid, no text-to-curves. Kind of OK, but kind of makes the work too slow. Unless I am missing something in the picture. Any advice is welcome! :)

Just it will feel a bit dull if Publisher pops up after 4-6 months. On the other hand - decent lunch is 20€ so come on... :)

Affinity Publisher may be released to public beta in 4-6 months, but (even if it is) the retail version won't be ready before 2018.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Affinity Publisher may be released to public beta in 4-6 months, but (even if it is) the retail version won't be ready before 2018.

And won't have the features/capabilities of PagePlus X9.  That will take several version upgrades.