Sign in to follow this  
gregorym

AD: Direction of stroke gradient

Question on how to change the angle of the gradient that fills a stroke.

Say I have a rectangle.  I want to have a stroke that appears from the top left corner and then fades away diagonally toward the bottom right corner (an opacity gradient). 

When selecting stroke, you can choose a gradient fill but you can't affect the direction that fill occurs at.  It just defaults to horizontal.

When using the fill option (like when you are filling an entire shape) you can choose to have gradients occur at any angle over any distance by adjusting the slider, but this doesn't seem to be the case when you are using a gradient for a stroke.

I can come up with other workarounds obviously by building two rectangles where the front only reveals the edges of the back rectangle and then using an opacity gradient on the back rectangle, but it seems like I'm just missing one button somewhere.

After defining the stroke weight, you can set the gradient in the stroke dialogue if you like. But to change its position and direction, you need to us the fill tool. Select the object, select the fill tool and change the context from "fill" to "stroke." Then adjust as desired/

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

16 hours ago, chris.bannu said:

wow, thanks for the tips, didn't know about these :) awesome

Glad to help!

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet