You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using the beta of Designer 1.6. I am posting this here, because I am unsure whether it is a bug or something I'm doing wrong. I have font with the stroke (black) aligned outside so it doesn't overlap the red text too much. And I have an outline effect (orange) aligned inside. The problem is that the orange is overlapping parts of the black. Is this because I have both strokes aligned opposite of each other? The orange is also starting to come out of the outer area of the text. What I am trying to do is to have orange just on the inner edge of the text staying behind the black.

I also noticed I don't have the option to kern my text. I see it, but none of the options are highlighted. Why might that be?

post-27616-0-56847400-1499449902_thumb.png

Pizzeria.afdesign

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi bleduc,

Put the text in red with an orange outline on the inside, then a black outline effect lined up on the outside. Kerning is OK.

post-37692-0-15997500-1499453351_thumb.png

It appears that when the fx is applied to a letter with a stroke, the fx is drawn on both sides of the letter form border.  The work around I found is to make the text w/o the fx, but with the heavy stroke. Then, duplicate that and paste in place. Remove the stroke, and add the fx.

post-34886-0-82836300-1499453373_thumb.jpg

As to the kerning problem, I don't know enough about font structures to say anythingexcept maybe there aren't any kerning pairs for the letters pizzeria.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

BTW, I noticed when I opened the OP's file using the Windows 1.6 beta that AD didn't recognize the Windows version of Arial Black being installed and active. I had to reselect Arial and the style, Black, was then chosen. That should have happened automatically.

Mike

Thank you for everyone's reply. I feel silly that I didn't think to swap alignments. That took care of that part. And yes, Gdenby, that is strange how the effect is drawn on both sides of the letters. Maybe that's something that needs to be addressed?

As for kerning, I just can't understand why no options other than 0 and Auto are available to me. I have the text highlighted, I tried testing it on both frame text and artistic text, and I tried testing it on text that is not on a path.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I would need to test this, but it does seem like a bug.

Not a definitive test because I did not place the text on a curve, but I duplicated the text in 1.5.5, using the same font, identical sizes, & fx settings, & the inside alignment worked as expected. So it does appear to be a bug in the 1.6 beta.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Highlighted text uses tracking, not kerning. To use kerning just place the text cursor between two letters.

I'm a dope. Tracking was the option I was looking for. I knew the difference but for some reason my thinking was a bit off.