You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jagged Lines When Zooming More Than 100% in AP Photo Persona

Hello! I'm trying to use AP as a digital painting program and here is a weird thing which bothers me. When I'm in Photo Persona and zoom more than 100% I can see jagged lines. It doesn't affect final lines quality but is a bit annoying anyway. Other programs (like Krita or Sketchbook Pro) smooth lines when zooming. Moreover, if I switch to Export Persona in AP, then my lines look smoothed as in the mentioned programs. I've attached two pics to illustrate what I'm talking about - one with jagged edge (I took screenshot and cropped it) and another is an exported via Export Persona slice. The scale is different, I know, but I hope you get the point. Ok, in short, is there any option to switch between jagged lines (which may be useful for some reasons, f.e. pixel art) and the smoothed ones which are better for sketching/digital drawing?

post-62242-0-52036700-1499419228_thumb.png

post-62242-0-31696600-1499419235_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi lloerau,

Photo is a pixel based editing program so when you zoom past 100% the pixels become more visible, to have smooth lines you will need to use Designer as this is a vector based drawing program. 

Hi DWright, 

Well, then why don't I see my lines jagged when I simply switch to Export Persona in the same program? That's weird. Why do I see pixels in one Persona and don't see them in another? Strange.

Photoshop is also a pixel based editing program which shows my lines well. As do the other pixel based programs for image creation and editing. There is certainly something with how AP renders image in the particular Photo Persona. May be it's right. Or may be it would be better to have control over how the program shows pixels. By the way, I've checked the same file in Affinity Designer. Lines look great (smooth) both in Draw and Pixel Persona (also weird - I mean pixel lines look well in Pixel Persona in AD but they don't in Photo Persona in AP?!).

• Staff

Hi lloerau,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known issue that's already logged/aasigned to be looked at. It happens when you use arbitrary zoom levels. If you set the zoom to 200% for example it shouldn't render like that. You can press ⌘ (cmd) +1⌘ (cmd) +2 and ⌘ (cmd) +3 to quickly set the zoom to 100%, 200% and 400% respectively.

What does affect jagged lines, however, is the View Mode. If I choose View > View Mode > Pixels, then lines get jagged in AD. If I choose ... > Pixels (Retina) - lines get smoother and nicer. If I choose ... > Vector - everything is great and at its best. Well, it seems that I just need this opportunity to switch view modes in AP:) That's it!

• 2 years later...

this issue still seems present in 1.8.3 is that correct? I tried all settings, bilinear, metal open gl, rendering still is jagged at certain zoom levels. 1592460497_ScreenShot2020-05-04at12_30_37.png.0228fdf7f44d27805c205da24c2903ef.png

Also still issues with unsmooth lines (see second screen shot). I'm a sketch artist and don't want to use the stabiliser. I was hoping I could match the sketchbook pro feeling. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.33.42.png

Third issue is the pressure sensitivity, that is also not always smooth:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 12.38.49.png

I love AF and it has replaced PS for me which says a lot as I have been using PS professionally for 20 years. But please fix the brush strokes and rendering and it will be perfect. 

Edited by ZufDraw

• 2 years later...

Five years later and this is still an issue, unfortunately.

The reason why image quality is bad is that all three apps (AP and non-vector modes in AD and APub) completely disrespect global View Quality setting and simply fallback to Nearest Neighbor once you zoom in more than 100% and it's not exactly 200% or 400% or 800%. I believe it's a bug. Chosen View Quality algorithm should probably be used all the time, be it zooming in or zooming out.

Edited by Alex M

1 hour ago, Alex M said:

zooming out.

The mipmaps technique is used in a reduced view, where many more objects and lines need to be drawn, and their detailed rendering would take an unusually long time.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

@Pšenda Honestly, I don't have problems with zooming out. Because in this case View Quality setting works as it should. But when we start to zoom in >100%, only Nearest Neighbor is being used even if I have Bilinear selected in View Quality.

I can understand that it might be another performance optimization to squeeze all the juices from weak hardware but some of us have pretty powerful systems and it shouldn't be a problem at all to allow us to use at least proper Bilinear filtering on all zoom levels. Personally, I'm ready to trade in some performance in favor of better on-screen image quality.

Edited by Alex M