You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open .TIFF files from iCloud or Google Drive

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Affinity Photo app, and I have a bunch of .NEF photos from a Nikon D500 stored on Google Photos. I tried to directly open one of these using Affinity Pro, but all I see is a dark screen, with information about the image like f/stop, aperture, etc. I assumed this is because AP does not support Google Photos yet.

As a workaround, I then tried to transfer the same .NEF files to Google Drive and iCloud, after which they became .TIFF files. However, I am facing the same problem trying to open the .TIFF files as well. All I see is a dark screen with the development tools and image information.

Can you please tell me if I am doing something wrong on my end?

Thanks

P.S. I deleted and redownloaded the App, but this did not help. Also, the version of the app I am using is 1.6.3.

• Staff

Hi rdat,

Welcome to the forums.

We don't currently support Google Photos, it may be added in the future, we're aware of an issue with opening RAW files from Google Drive and are looking into it. Transferring them from one to another and converting to .TIFF may be an issue as well. Have you copied them direct to iCloud and then opened as that should work.

Hi Lee D,

I work at an educational institution that gives me unlimited storage on my Google Drive, whereas I have to pay for iCloud storage. So most of my images are on Google Drive. It seems Affinity Photo is also unable to open .NEF photos from Google Drive, in addition to .TIFF ones, but it is able to open .JPEG files.

This makes a $20 app completely useless for me at the moment. I really hope you figure out the issues soon, because this seems like a relatively important problem for an app that promises RAW support. On the bright side, your solution of importing photos directly to iCloud did work, so at least I am able to edit those images that I import on to iCloud.

Thanks for your reply.