You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Hill216,

Welcome to the forums.

Grids and guides are only visible within the apps, when you go to print they don't show. You could use the Pen Tool to insert lines, using the grid as a guide, these would then print out.

Depending on what quality you need you could also use a screengrab program to snap the Affinity image with the gridlines showing. Not as good as Lee D's method but a damn site faster.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Even if Affinity Designer is clearly not a technical drawing tool, I use this app quite often to draw technical plans, and I think it could be very interesting to add an option "Print gridlines" either in the print panel (AD section) or in the document configuration panel. This would be a simple workaround to the missing feature "working at scale". Adding lines on the document to fake a grid as suggested is just a nonsense.

Hope this feature will be add in a future release.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In Serif's Drawplus there was a very useful grid in the shapes tool which you can superimpose over an image and print it out as part of the picture. It is a really useful feature and I can't quite understand how it was left out of Infinity Designer. It was certainly a key feature for a lot of what I do. Please add it to Designer.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you want to quickly add a grid to your document, and are using Windows 10, then you might like to try the application linked to by this post:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143089-free-vector-tools-for-windows-10-users/
It’s not the same as being able to print the native grid but it’s easy to use and has other features which may be useful.

• 1 month later...

What about creating grid assets, it may take a bit of work initially but once you have them you have grids that can be dragged in quickly.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 5 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:44 AM, Lee D said:

Hi Hill216,

Welcome to the forums.

Grids and guides are only visible within the apps, when you go to print they don't show. You could use the Pen Tool to insert lines, using the grid as a guide, these would then print out.

this is what I just had to do. If someone puts in the feature request I'll vote.

1 hour ago, Sitepro said:

YES ADD THIS FEATURE _ NEED TO PRINT GRID LINES !!!!

If you want this added, search the Feature request forum & add your request there. Here in Questions, it is unlikely that the developers will ever see it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/7/2017 at 3:44 AM, Lee D said:

Hi Hill216,

Welcome to the forums.

This is what I just had to do. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:53 AM, firstdefence said:

What about creating grid assets, it may take a bit of work initially but once you have them you have grids that can be dragged in quickly.

Please explain!

16 minutes ago, Seizmic said:

Please explain!

I think what he means is create the grid lines with the Pen Tool, group them, & add the group as an asset.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, firstdefence said:

18 minutes ago, Seizmic said:

Please explain!

Please see Affinity Designer Help: Using assets.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

Here's (attached below) some grid lines I knocked together by tiling an SVG of a 10x10 grid that I found with a google image search. Feel free to improve on it.

My use case is that I need to plan where to put the furniture in the apartment I am going to move into in a couple of weeks, and also what furniture to buy. I simply wanted to put little rectangles representing the furniture at a scale of 1 grid space to 10cm on a scan of the floor plan of the apartment. I tried using both CAD software and free apartment planning software, but they were complete nightmares to work with. However, Affinity Designer turns out to be a very good tool for the job in every respect, except for not printing out the grid lines. Putting this SVG of grid lines second layer from back (just above the scan of the floor plan), and resizing it to approximately match the scale indicated on the drawing, adds those missing printable grid lines.

grid lines.svg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, pierre.vandwalle said:

Can we have that in Affinity Designer 2?

Suggest you add that to the appropriate topic in the Feedback forum.

Affinity Photo