You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlays in Develop Persona Not Working?

Either I am overlooking an obvious step (as I've been known to do) or Overlays in the Develop persona are not working on the AirPad 2.  

Bring in a RAW image, click on Overlays, select Brush Overlay, and in the context toolbar select Show Overlay.  When I brush on an area of the canvas with the paintbrush, I expected to paint in a red overlay like in the RAW: Overlays on Vimeo video but I don't see any change whatsoever. No red glow where I've brushed.  No indication that I have marked the canvas at all.  If I go to the next step in the Help instructions and select an adjustment, there is no change in the image.

What am I doing wrong?

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

I've just tested on an iPad Pro and it's working fine, I assume that you've checked the opacity setting? I'll see if I can get my hands on an iPad Air 2 to test, I'm sure we have one somewhere.

Out of interest does it occur if you open a normal image and then switch to the Develop persona and use the Overlays?

Hi Lee,

I have bigger problems than I knew.  Not only is Overlays not working but no tool in Photo/Selections/Liquify is working!  Not one!  I hadn't really played with anything since the 1.6.3 update till I reported the Overlays problems.  Then today I did a restart of the ipad to see if that would fix the overlay issue and discovered that the only things that are working (that I've tested so far) are a few things in the File Menu and a few in the Actions/More menus. 

I'm in (very slow) process of uploading a "weird result" image from this morning's experiments to icloud.  Then I had planned to delete Affinity Photo and reinstall it to see if that helped.  The upload should finish soon and then I'll re-install and let you know if that corrected the issue.

Deleted Affinity Photo.  Installed 1.6.2.  Things working fine.  Installed 1.6.3 update.  Things are working normally now!  Overlays working as they should; all tools working.  Dunno' what happened but I'm back in business and a happy user again.