FlyingBee

Affinity Photo Freezing and Crashing on IPad

I just purchased this app a couple of days ago. I'm using it on a new 12.9 inch IPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. Love the possibilities of this app but it freezes and crashes constantly, especially when using the clone, patch, etc tools. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hey FlyingBee, welcome to the Affinity Forums. 

We are currently in the process of looking into this. You can find a few users report very similar issues. I haven't experienced the app freezing or slowing down unless I do something like Inpainting or use the Selection Tool. 

I know development are aware and are always looking at stability improvements. 

Thank you for your response. The inpainting tool is also producing unwanted red dots that I can't remove no matter how many times I hit "undo."

Please pass this on to the developers. Thanks!

I've been working through AP on the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 running 10.3.2 as well for the last 5 days and have experienced the same freeze/crash scenario, especially when working with masking and more than 3 layers. I've narrowed down some of the issue to an apparent memory leak when allocating a new layer- using a third party utility to force release of formally unallocated RAM seems to dramatically reduce the frequency of freezes.

I highly recommend the official docs emphasize the horsepower and RAM required for AP to do its job, and strongly suggest to users to close all other apps whilst it's running.

It would also be extremely helpful to offer a temp restore file, and offer to restore the work-in-progress to the last known valid state before the crash. It's frustrating to expend 20 minutes on a new project, and lose all of it to an unexpected goodbye kiss.

Hope this is of some value (as an Apple Dev myself, if I may assist in any way with alpha/beta testing, please feel free to PM as time permits)-

Regards and Congrats on a great start!

Thank you for your response. The inpainting tool is also producing unwanted red dots that I can't remove no matter how many times I hit "undo."

Please pass this on to the developers. Thanks!

I've experienced the red dots myself but I've never been able to reproduce it to show development. Do you know if the object exports/prints with the red dot?

I haven't tried to export or print any image with the red dots. In fact, I'm afraid to use the app until the bugs are fixed. Like Trek_Doctor, I've lost precious work that I'd spent to much time on due to frequent crashes.

Also having the same crash issue when applying local adjustments. Latest release seem to introduce this bug since I never had it with the previous version.

Also sometimes I don't get a crash, but the photo goes to near black level and no way for recovery.

I always clear all apps from ram before using.

I love your app and look for to an update for this issue.

Thanks

James

@FlyingBee - I understand. As I've said on other posts, development are working on fixing bugs as well as improving stability. I've had a new internal build this morning which seems to be a lot more reliable. If you're interested, feel free to keep up to date with us by signing up for the beta.

@Yana - If this happens again, could you screenshot it for me? I've not seen this but it sounds bad if you are unable to recover. I'd like to look into it for you.

Hello,

I am glad the developers are looking into the crashing issue since I am also experiencing this frequently. I have a new 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" 512Gb on iOS 10.3.2 with not many other Apps installed, so this can't be a hardware or iOS issue. Look forward to a more stable release of AP soon. Thanks and regards.

PS: @moderators: do you think deleting and reinstalling AP might help? Or should I just wait for v 1.6.4 to be released soon?

Hey Firoze,

Uninstalling the app probably won't make any difference. Like you say, you have a top end iPad Pro so the issue is more to do with program optimization/stability than anything.