You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] Help Making a New Brush

I'm fairly new to Affinity Photo (I've been playing with it for little over a week) and I gotta say, it is probably the best impulse buy I ever made on the AppStore and I expect to be using this app for a long time.

I came in from Procreate, so I wanted to recreate my favorite brushes. I saved the brush shape and texture and created a new brush in Affinity with them. I test the brush out and I noticed that the color of the brush is not affected by the color I choose in the color picker but instead it's always the color of the brush image I use. Is there a setting I'm missing that will make image brushes be affected by the color picker, or is the image brush meant to be like a stamp and can't be affected by color?

If it's the latter, how do I make a brush similar to the ones in the "Painting" category?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Aeridis. :)

I don't have an iPad, so I can't help you with the specifics of doing this on the iPad version of the app, but on the (Windows) desktop version when I click on the Brushes panel 'hamburger' menu icon I'm offered a choice of various brush types. An 'Image' brush behaves as you describe, keeping its own colour/s, but an 'Intensity' brush uses the greyscale values of the image as an opacity map, with the base colour being selected by the user.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You're very welcome, Aeridis; I'm glad I was able to help. Enjoy your new brushes! ^_^

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)