You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all.

Yes another unknown method is needed.

The unknown bit is "what to call it".

All I want to do is paint/draw with, I presume, a brush/pencil/nib on an image/photo..

I am always confused by how you keep the quality of the original image (ppi) specifically.

OK. All too general.

I want to create a Logo consisting of Words on a 3D background. So far no problem.

I then want to modify one 'letter' and draw on it to make it a cartoonish character.

1/ should I write the words and paint - then - do the texturing/3D?

2/ where in the process should I use the 'Liquify' Persona to shape the chosen letter?

Many other questions but these are the stumpers on this job.

The final image will be used for website publishing, large display boards, email headers just about everything; hence the need to finish with a high quality image from which all the varieties can be produced.

I did say I did not know how to ask this in the title.

Regards.    Sharkey

ps:- sorry I cannot share the actual image (idea).

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

What you should do (if I understand you correctly) is convert the letters into curves. Ungroup them, then you can select the node tool (P) and edit the curves of the letter you want to modify to your hearts desire, add new control points, reshape etc.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

What you should do (if I understand you correctly) is convert the letters into curves. Ungroup them, then you can select the node tool (P) and edit the curves of the letter you want to modify to your hearts desire, add new control points, reshape etc.

that's just what i wanted to say.

i made a example afphoto file, hope this wil help.

post-35341-0-42253900-1499341172_thumb.png

testing.afphoto

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

If that doesn't help, here's a B being modified with the node tool.

Hey, toltec, why does your bee have two stings?? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

that's just what i wanted to say.

i made a example afphoto file, hope this wil help.

attachicon.giftesting.png

If that doesn't help, here's a B being modified with the node tool.

Thank you for this.

Q1/ when in the process is best to do this?

Q2/ what is un-grouping?

Q3/ do I start with a transparent document and insert text before Q2?

Q4/ where/what is 'node tool'?

Ye Gods I am dim!

I should stick to photography :( !

Regards.   Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

OK.

Got the Node Tool (cannot get it to do anything though) :angry:

Opened Pixel Layer of whole image just to try it - nothing so far.

Regards.   Sharkey

Your pixel layer is just a bunch of pixels. You need to add some text and convert it to curves to give the Node Tool something to work on.

Alfred spacer.png

So to try this out I need to start from scratch?

in my example file, dubbel click on the letter i. then you will see the nodes. 

Got that.

This Grouping thing?

Is this in layers. i.e.. each letter has its own layer?

That seems a bit long handed.

I will have a look.

Regards.    Sharkey

from scratch it would be like this:

create some text and convert to curves

post-35341-0-84183500-1499345836_thumb.png

in the layers panel click on a character

post-35341-0-28597500-1499345790_thumb.png

now you can edit this character with the node tool

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

A word like "word" will be 4 letters.

Once you have converted "word" to curves, it will be a group of 4 shapes. The node tool can't work on groups, only individual shapes (like my double edged Bee) hence the ungrouping thing.

Quick run down. Either Artistic or Frame Text will work to start. The text fonts are all vector objects encased in some spacing parameters. But when selected, and converted to curves, that info is tossed out, and the batch of text is a group of vector objects. You don't need to ungroup, tho it can make things a little more straight forward. To be able to edit the nodes of any one of the letter forms, you will need to get to the one you want. If grouped, in the layer panel, open the group, and select the letter to be modified. In Photo, press "p" then command/window to use the node tool. In Designer, "a." Move the nodes, push the lines as you like.

There's no particular name for this, other than a couple of text layer manipulations on top of a pixel or image layer.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

and yes, each letter has it's own layer.

Wow.

Ok got that.

So I can still start off with a Font from the list?

It seems a very pre-thought out process.

I suppose the Liquify Persona is more for a completed image (flattened). Almost an afterthought.

It is the reverse, almost, of the process used in my work on photos.

Wow.

Ok got that.

So I can still start off with a Font from the list?

It seems a very pre-thought out process.

I suppose the Liquify Persona is more for a completed image (flattened). Almost an afterthought.

It is the reverse, almost, of the process used in my work on photos.

Liquify is designed to mould pixels. 

Nothing to stop you, but you would have to convert the text to a bitmap first. (Rasterize in Affinity terminology).

And if you want to go big, you would have quality issues with pixelating. If you make a curve, you can enlarge it and print it on the side of a barn (or a display board) and it will be perfect quality.

Liquify is designed to mould pixels. 

Nothing to stop you, but you would have to convert the text to a bitmap first. (Rasterize in Affinity terminology).

And if you want to go big, you would have quality issues with pixelating. If you make a curve, you can enlarge it and print it on the side of a barn (or a display board) and it will be perfect quality.

Right - I think?

So the best starting point is?

A transparent document and text (from font list ?). Go to Node tool and edit letter shapes. Add layers underneath. So far so good.

Then another layer to paint on??

What am I going to export as to keep the image from pixelating?

Jeeze; not at all sure I should have started this.

Regards.   Sharkey

You can also work straight in the pixel layer and DRAW:PAINT your word using brushes, not the text tool, for a more organic feel....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

A word like "word" will be 4 letters.

Once you have converted "word" to curves, it will be a group of 4 shapes. The node tool can't work on groups, only individual shapes (like my double edged Bee) hence the ungrouping thing.

How do I do that conversion?

Tried to find 'convert to curves' without success (as usual).

Regards.    Sharkey

OK. Found Convert Button.

Getting there.

Regards.   Sharkey

Right - I think?

So the best starting point is?

A transparent document and text (from font list ?). Go to Node tool and edit letter shapes. Add layers underneath. So far so good.

Then another layer to paint on??

What am I going to export as to keep the image from pixelating?

Jeeze; not at all sure I should have started this.

Regards.   Sharkey

What are you going to paint?

If you make the shapes (from letters) you won't have to worry about pixelation, no matter what size you decide to make them.

Anything you paint will matter when it comes to pixelation, at least if you ever  need to enlarge. So, design at the largest size you will need (display board) then you can easily make the smaller logos as and when you like, with no issues. There is never a problem going smaller.

There is never a problem going smaller.

Whilst that is generally true, it depends on the image to some extent. The wrong choice of resampling method can introduce unwanted sharpening; e.g. 'Lanczos3 (non-separable)' sharpens considerably more than 'Lanczos3 (separable)'.

For what it's worth, I would usually opt for 'Bicubic' when downsizing.

Alfred spacer.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-06%20at%2016.25.

This is my first adjustment of one of the letters.

Next job is to paint on this 'G'?

I want to select the inner area and fill with white then paint over the background and the letter.

Oh boy do I not like struggling like this.

Regards.   Sharkey