You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to convert text in curves?

I don’t know how the iPad version works but in the regular version it’s in the menu: “Layer > Convert to curves” (you can also right click the object and select “Convert to curves” from the context menu), or via keyboard: Command + Enter.

Unless I am mistaken, there doesn’t seem to be an option like this in the iPad version, Stephan.  :(

But here is a sort-of-workaround:

• Create your text and select the layer
  • With the layer selected, tap Commands (Three Dots Menu) > Geometry > Add
  • If you want to have your glyphs as single layers, you will have to use a Boolean Divide afterwards, and then you will have to use Subtract for recreating the glyph counters

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

• Staff

Hi Andreus,

Select the text object in the Layers Studio, change to the Rectangle Tool and tap the To Curves button on the context toolbar (bottom). I will pass this to the dev team. I agree it should be more intuitive/easy to find, unless i'm missing something here.

• 1 year later...

Maybe this helps, if my answer do match the question.

Select the text, and then that tri-dots button, then convert to curve. (First image)

If you want to edit the nodes, check the layers, and select the group members first, then edit nodes. (Second image)

8B5C9EAC-2D4F-4CA7-80F0-888B20D0791A.png

9951BCB9-F19F-4383-AD5B-F166326371DB.png

Hi ogin,

and welcome here … :)

The original post was about Affinity Photo on iPad. And the Convert to Curves option is hidden pretty well in Affinity Photo. Thankfully, it’s easier to find in Affinity Designer, and I think it’s great that you added this information to the present thread. Since there are two apps on the iPad platform now, one gets easily confused when looking for answers on the forum. :)

Cheers, Alex

47 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

The original post was about Affinity Photo on iPad. And the Convert to Curves option is hidden pretty well in Affinity Photo.

???

1358181013_ConvertPhotoiPad.thumb.jpeg.524bc7cb5379a6fc94baee24db2adf94.jpeg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, the original post was from July 2017. I cannot remember the situation precisely, but I would guess the option was “a bit more hidden” back then. But thanks for adding this piece of information, R C-R. I hadn’t noticed this. :)

2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

But thanks for adding this piece of information, R C-R. I hadn’t noticed this. :)

Maybe it is because I have only had my iPad for a few months & not (just) because I am getting old & feebleminded, but I have been making a bunch of these annotated screenshots of help topics because without them to refer to, I far too often pop open a menu & can't find something plainly visible on it. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

Awesome - convert text to curves...

However:

Let's say I have the letter "A" and I want the color the triangle - can you point me in the right direction to color it different than the stroke of the letter A itself? In other words, how do I only choose the triangle in the letter "A"?

1 hour ago, Markus Allen said:

Let's say I have the letter "A" and I want the color the triangle - can you point me in the right direction to color it different than the stroke of the letter A itself? In other words, how do I only choose the triangle in the letter "A"?

Select the “A” text object — no need to convert to curves! — and choose ‘Geometry > Divide’ from the Edit (‘...’) menu. The triangle will be moved to its own layer on top of the “A” outline shape, and the hole in the lower shape will be filled in.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alternately, just create a shape that sits under the triangular part of the A that does not extend beyond the outside edges of the character.

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Alternately

*Alternatively

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

just create a shape that sits under the triangular part of the A that does not extend beyond the outside edges of the character.

That’s cheating!!

Alfred spacer.png

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

Select the “A” text object — no need to convert to curves! — and choose ‘Geometry > Divide’ from the Edit (‘...’) menu. The triangle will be moved to its own layer on top of the “A” outline shape, and the hole in the lower shape will be filled in.

Awesome. Thanks again Alfred!

15 hours ago, Alfred said:

*Alternatively

Just FYI, from the built-in macOS dictionary:

1070584427_macOSdictionary.jpg.f132e16e52845bb98da431a07836285d.jpg

So there! 😛

Affinity Photo 

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Just FYI, from the built-in macOS dictionary:

1070584427_macOSdictionary.jpg.f132e16e52845bb98da431a07836285d.jpg

So there! 😛

Yeah, I knew about that particular AmE (American English) peculiarity! In BrE (British English) we sensibly stick to sense 1, where two things alternate.

I’m well aware that in BrE we have our own share of silly practices like saying ‘disorientated’ when the less long-winded ‘disoriented’ conveys the same meaning, but on the other hand we don’t add a superfluous syllable to ‘relevance’ by turning it into ‘relevancy’ as you do in AmE.

Have we gone off-topic yet?? :24_stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. How come your ‘tongue’ emoticon is different from/than mine? :/

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

P.S. How come your ‘tongue’ emoticon is different from/than mine? :/

In the forum software there are now several different 'tongue' emoji to choose from:

😛😜😝👅:22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::24_stuck_out_tongue:

Some resize & some do not.

Affinity Photo