You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distribute in a circular pattern

I don't know if this is possible or not. I have always found the Distribute "horizontally" and "vertically" useful but there are times when I would like to be able to distribute things in a circular pattern. Sometimes I have a bunch of straight lines or rectangular boxes and I want them to be distributed in a circular pattern (normally around a circular centre but not always). Now I have to do it manually and it is time consuming. If it is a few shapes then it isn't such a big deal to do it manually but if it is many boxes, then it is a pain. It would be great if I could choose the centre shape and then have boxes or lines to be distributed around the centre shape evenly. 

Yes this is another instance where 3d apps are way ahead of their 2d counterparts. Many 3d apps have an array command that allows duplication of an object along circular or horizontal and vertical directions. Designer would be ahead of the 2d pack if they came up with something like this... it's sorely missed in 2d apps.  

Imagine a scenario where you create a window "symbol" object and duplicate it 4 wide and 20 high for a skyscraper, then adjust or change the original and all of the instances update in real time...

Thanks for the suggestion Hokusai. It could be also useful to distribute shapes/objects along a path (open or not) and be able to associate/create a profile to control their distribution along it.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Rather than adding more and more variant distribute buttons, just use a path/shape to show Designer where to distribute. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I like that the "Distribute" objects is improving but it is still needs some of the things mentioned here (like MEB & Retrograde's suggestions). I would love to be able to choose a shape for the objects to be distributed in and then be able to adjust the spacing. I often have to create things with a repeating pattern circular pattern (often around something in the middle, think of a clock face). It can be done now but it takes a lot more time and effort than it should. The new options that have been added to Distribute is a great step forward but more could be added to it to make it even more useful. 

Hokusai

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2015 at 4:00 PM, Hokusai said:

I don't know if this is possible or not. I have always found the Distribute "horizontally" and "vertically" useful but there are times when I would like to be able to distribute things in a circular pattern. Sometimes I have a bunch of straight lines or rectangular boxes and I want them to be distributed in a circular pattern (normally around a circular centre but not always). Now I have to do it manually and it is time consuming. If it is a few shapes then it isn't such a big deal to do it manually but if it is many boxes, then it is a pain. It would be great if I could choose the centre shape and then have boxes or lines to be distributed around the centre shape evenly. 

Was this ever added? I am looking for distributing around a circle in particular.

3 hours ago, jamesholden said:

Was this ever added? I am looking for distributing around a circle in particular.

Power duplicate may do what you want.  You would need to be more specific if it does not. 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Yes, the post was originally from 2014 but it lists the features planed for the whole 1.x cycle of the app. Features there were already implemented in earlier updates were removed from the list. Those remaining there will be implemented in the upcoming versions. A few features not listed were also implemented due to user requests and other reasons.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, SlavaUX said:

Any status update on this? I'm using 1.7 beta, is it maybe already there?

It is not.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 3 years later...
On 1/27/2015 at 12:00 PM, Hokusai said:

Do you know if this was ever implemented and if so, what function it could be found in?    Thanks.