You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not all features working on trial

Today I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo. My initial impressions have been positive for the most part. Unlike Gimp 2 and Lightbox the interface is more intuitive and it simply runs faster on my 7 year old MacBook.

I've had a few problems with the program though. I've noticed that many of the effects are not working consistantly. For example, sometimes the Inpainting Brush Tool works but other times it doesn't. Sometimes it will allow me to highlight an object in red which will make the object disappear. Other times there is no red ink whatsoever. When I move the brush over the object the status bar will come up as the program seems to be computing the change but the object will not be removed. A reboot of the program corrected this but then it happened again. I'm hoping that it's not something that will persist as I like the program otherwise. I've had the same experience with filters. Sometimes they work and other times they go through the motions but the picture looks the same after.

Has anyone else had this issue? Am I missing something here?

Thanks 

• Staff

Hi direct_current,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is because you are trying to inpaint an Image layer type rather than a pixel layer type. You can check the type of layer looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel. If it says Image right-click on it and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as usual.

Image layer types cannot be manipulated at a pixel level because they are considered objects and retain all original image data so you can scale/skew/rotate them without losing quality. To be able to manipulate their content - the pixels - they must be converted to a pixel layer type first.

If I may add this, MEB and direct_current, here is an older discussion of the rasterisation process and of layer types in the Affinity apps … I know I appended these links elswhere recently, but they might be of use here as well …

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19770-rasterrasterizerasterise/?p=91891

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13815-couple-of-questions/?p=66856

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13651-layers-and-masks-concepts/?p=60276

Cheers, Alex  :)