You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Export Optimisation

Hi! 

I've been trialling Affinity Designer now, and am nearing the end of the trial period. I've given it some good use in that time mostly for doing things like UI mockups, but also creating icons. 

I'm exporting those icons to SVG currently; but I am having to edit the output to add a viewport that scales (i.e. remove width and height, and create a viewBox that will fit the element in). While doing so I've noticed that there is some serious room for optimisation to take place in how circles are exported.

I tried to export a circle in Sketch, and it creates an SVG circle element. In Affinity Designer, the export creates a path, with a LOT of points on it. That of course has a huge impact on the size of the file at the end of it. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just not quite there yet? 

I'm absolutely loving the software - especially how silky smooth it runs. This and the upcoming grid changes are the only things that have bugged me during the trial. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro - Base

OS X 10.10.2

• Staff

Hi SeerUK,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Affinity's SVG export isn't totally developed yet. We aren't currently doing any optimization on export.

The latest beta(s) introduced some solid improvements. If you haven't tried it yet you can get it here. It doesn't interfere with the MAS version.

Like other formats, we are continually working on improving it, so things should get better over time. SVG will also be integrated as another export option in the Export Persona (along with other vector formats) soon.

Aaah! Thanks for the info - and the extremely fast response. I had been wondering about the export persona. Really looking forward to these features.

Edit:

I've purchased AD today, and downloaded the beta too. The SVG export is MUCH better in the beta, still not totally optimal, but I'm talking down from 40,000 characters, to 800. That's seriously impressive. Cheers for the updates, and I'm looking forward to it being optimised further still. 

Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro - Base

OS X 10.10.2