You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How is this done? Would like a solid color. I’m just gonna layer a solid color background image for now.

Just wanted to know how is this done. Thanks.

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• Staff

Hi Affinity iPad Student

While it isn't possible to change the colour of the checkerboard itself you can have a plain white background by unticking Transparent Background in the Document menu found at the top of the app.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I see, yea needed something darker, easier on the eyes and for when certain montages created, the background blends.

It’s all good, I’ll use photos from online as background layer.

Thanks Callum.

Specs:

• Staff

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

Alternatively you can use a Fill layer and pick whatever colour you want for it from the Colour Studio. The advantage is that you can quickly change its colour selecting it in the Layers Studio and picking another colour from the Colour Studio. To create a Fill layer tap the plus icon in the Layers Studio and select New Fill Layer.

Alternatively you can use a Fill layer and pick whatever colour you want for it from the Colour Studio. The advantage is that you can quickly change its colour selecting it in the Layers Studio and picking another colour from the Colour Studio. To create a Fill layer tap the plus icon in the Layers Studio and select New Fill Layer.

Well now, this is it. Thank you.

I’m such a newb, feel like I should had known this. Thank you sir.

Specs:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 11:53 AM, MEB said:

I created a new fill layer and I am not able to change the fill color for the new layer. I did this once and it worked. But now I can't seem to figure it out again. Can you give me any insight as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

• Staff

Hi Borgs,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you sure you created a Fill Layer (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer) and not a regular pixel layer? The first keeps the fill editable the second doesn't. Without seeing your file it's difficult to guess what may be wrong. Any chance you can post/attach a screenshot with the Layers panel visible?

17 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Borgs,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you sure you created a Fill Layer (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer) and not a regular pixel layer? The first keeps the fill editable the second doesn't. Without seeing your file it's difficult to guess what may be wrong. Any chance you can post/attach a screenshot with the Layers panel visible?

I am using the iPad version. I had selected my product and duplicated it on its own layer. Now I click on the + to add a new fill layer and I can't seem to change the color to white. Please see the video attached. Let me know if you need to see more. Thank you for your help. A couple of my videos have failed to upload I hope you can see one of them. 

52324974725__82158039-0E3F-411A-A575-E126E568AF92.MOV

MEB

Now I am really confused. I have been watching YouTube videos and discovered that adding a new fill layer should  automatically add color to the layer. I have been trying this for a couple days and it is still not doing it for the picture I am working on.

So I started working on a new picture and it still will not put a color in when I click a new fill layer. 

I then hen went back to a different picture I was working on a week ago, clicked new fill layer and it came up with a white layer. So I went back into other pictures and did the same thing and still no color came with the fill layer. 

I have noticed that that another tool will work sometimes but then not others. The in painting removal tool. I will use once in a picture then go on to other editing.  Then realize I missed something and click back on it and it won't work. 

Could i I have a glitch in my program? Maybe my download was bad. I am using the iPad version. Any thoughts on what I should try. 

• Staff

The New Fill layer command will use whatever (foreground) colour is currently selected in the Colours Studio. So if you have been painting with the PAint Brush Tool for example and have selected yellow for the foreground colour, that's the colour that will be picked to fill the new Fill Layer. If you want to change to another, select the Fill Layer in the Layers Studio, open the Colours Studio and select any other colour you want.

Regarding the Inpainting Tool - this and other pixel based tools only work on pixel layers. You can identify the type of layer you are working with looking at the small letters (in all caps) right above the layer's name in the Layers Studio. If it says Image you have to convert it to a pixel layer before you can use the Inpainting Tool. To do this select the image layer in the Layers Studio, tap the More (the three dots icon) on the menus on top and select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. The layer will be converted to a Pixel layer type and you can then use the Inpainting Tool as usual.

Image layers are generated when you place an image on the document using the Place command. They are considered object layers and can (only) be transformed globally (scaled, rotated etc). They retain the original image data and thus allow these transformations without losing quality however any operations that require changing their pixel data cannot be performed. For that you will have to rasterise them as described above so they behave like regular pixel layers as you are used to in other apps.